(Video) Do I need an ARM before entering the pool? New one to me!

allaboard

Reaction score
https://www.babycenter.com/2_live-birth-water-birth_3658855.bc

I mean, really? I was hoping to jump in without being faffed about with, apart from an internal perhaps. I can see the point re meconium, but still, is it that necessary?

Never heard of that before :shrug:

I certainly wont be having mine broken and the MW didn't question it in my birth plan.

Nope never heard of that one.

Say no and get in the pool!

Quite! Anyway, my experience of waterbirths is limited, so what happens if the membranes rupture in the pool and it's meconium stained?

And can i actually get in AFTER they rupture (and it's presumably clear)?

I could look on the NICE guidelines i guess but do you girls know?

it never came up in my waterbirth attempt with ds1 my waters were intact when i got in the pool they broke when we decided i was getting out

With regards to meconium I dont know but of course you can get in the pool if your waters have broken and theyre clear...in a hospital you arent allowed in the pool until it's obvious you are in established labor...so 5cm and on kind of a time.

If there is meconium in the waters, then you will be advised to go to hospital. You can decline this if it is obvious that the mec is thin and can opt for more regular fetal heart monitoring. This is what I am doing as I refuse to move due to meconium stained liquor unless it is thick and the baby is clearly distressed. Meconium is pretty common and doesn't automatically mean that the baby is in distress, the baby can pass meconium simply due to the gut being mature.

Um, i'd totally refuse. However, thats one of the nicest US births ive ever watched! (although I want to catch my own baby and leave the cord)

I just hope i'm not put in that position - meconium staining would mean pressure to transfer in, makes MWs so twitchy.

I'd leave the cord too, don't see the point in not having delayed cord clamping if all has been well up to that point.

Hi ladies, I had a waterbirth but in hospital. I went to the hospital last minute. I didn't once get checked for dilation (or even after to check for damage midwife did this by eye). I jumped straight in the pool with my other half. My waters were bulging so I asked the midwife to pop them she did while I was still in the pool (she did it under water). :flower:

You don't need ARM to get in the pool. Wigglywoo has my stance on mec staining down completely - it's very common and taken far too seriously when it's thin.

Yeah as long as the baby's Hb is reactive and there are no signs of distress, then i'm happy to continue at home i think. It's helpful to see what the waters are like and some MWs are amni-hook happy for reassurance, but I'm happy not to be intervened with and wait for my waters to break in the pool. If anything i just hope that it's very light and old meconium staining and baby is coping well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->