Vitamin D drops?

October2013

Mommy to a baby girl
Reaction score
Hi ladies. Just wondering if any of you have been advised to give your BF babies Vitamin D drops?
Our Ped recommended 1ML a day of Polyvisol, but I hate giving it to my daughter because she gags and spits it up. :( Our Ped suggested putting the drops on my nipples during feedings but I'm afraid this will detour my daughter against breast feeding! Not to mention it would be very messy.

I'm thinking I could start pumping a couple bottles a day and putting the drops in the bottles?

Does any else give Vitamin D drops, and if so, how do you do it?

Thanks!

Best vitamin d is the sun. 15 minutes of it Daily at least.

My ped said no sun since not good for her skin. In just put the drops on a bottle with pumped breast milk. She takes it just fine.

My ped said no sun since it's not good for her skin. In just put the drops in a bottle with pumped breast milk. She takes it just fine.

At first my LO did not like the taste but now he takes it just fine. Best advice is to make sure it's given all the way back in his mouth against his cheek which helps baby swallow and doesn't allow them to push it out with their tongue :) I rarely give him a bottle but I think putting the drops in there would be fine! Whatever works!

I would look into advice in other countries you will find many other countries do not advise vitamin D supplementation for babies under 6 months. Moderate sun exposure is healthy and is good for their skin. Most US vitamin supplements contain d2 which is not as easily absorbed as d3 and in excess can be toxic, also be careful if you're using poly vi sol, as some versions contain iron. Breastmilk contains enough iron and so an iron containing supplement could lead to baby getting a harmful excess, also the artificial iron can cause gut changes meaning the iron in breastmilk which is not only more bioavailable but has properties that mean harmful bacteria cannot feed on it, can no longer be absorbed and the artificial iron takes over xx

I gave some sun to my newborn and she was fine (no sunburn) she was very jaundice anyhow for a long time so she needed some sun to help break it down. As long you don't overdo it and keep it short, she will be fine.

Get some Ddrops. You only use one drop, and it has no flavor. I put it in pumped milk or on my nipple.

Get some Ddrops. You only use one drop, and it has no flavor. I put it in pumped milk or on my nipple.

Yes- this. The ones I got are made by Carlson and I got them on Amazon. One tiny bottle lasts a year. You use one tasteless drop- you can put it on your finger or the boob. The Poly Vi Sol ones are horrid and messy.

Thanks, everyone! I wonder why my Ped recommended the Polyvisol. :( The stuff really is awful and 1ML is a lot for my baby to take at once!

I think most peds just don't realize there is something better out there now. I told mine about it and she now tells other moms to look for the single drop kind instead.

I agree with others about d drops (although since I live in Texas I was told I didn't need to supplement but I researched anyways). Just getting in and out of the car was enough sun, plus if I remember correctly, as long as you aren't deficient then you don't need to supplement for the first 6 months or so. I might be wrong.

There is so much crap in the other stuff! Artificial colors, flavors, sugars, yuck! I breastfed my baby so she could have healthier more natural stuff so it doesn't make sense to just pour that crap down her throat. Doctors don't always know what options are out there and a lot of them aren't knowledgeable about breastfeeding either. :)

The d drops are the best. If your per recommended it chances are you live in a climate where even sun exposure isn't enough .

The 1ml is way to much . My son choked on his at 3 days old and it was horrible

My doctor also recommended the awful red one. My lo hated it. I bought the ddrops on drugstore.com. Literally a week later my son's doctor came back from a conference raving about the samples of ddrops she got.

The hospital gave me samples of Enfamil vitamin D drops, but after reading the ingredients (artificial flavor and color? no way!) I opted for a more natural supplement. I went to my local co-op and got Nordic Naturals brand vegan vitamin D3. It has natural apple flavor that my baby seems to like. I just squirt it right into her mouth from the dropper when she's awake.

My pediatrician prescribed LO vitamins at 6 months (A, C, D and fluoride). Then later he tested low for iron and that was added in. I wasn't told to give anything before 6 months, so I'm just letting you know what our doctor recommended. I'm in Louisiana though so yeah it's easy to get some sun here!

Oh and I usually mix it with his solid foods, but sometimes I just drop it in his mouth. It's a big fight now at his age. Doc said to pull the side of his cheek and drop it in there. Also blow on their face to make them swallow. It's not fun.

we are advised to give Vit D drops to our breast fed baby... he gets one drop and i just rub it on the inside of his cheek and he does pretty good with it.

Hi October2013! I've not been on b&b for ages and so glad to see you've had your baby (I rmemeber all your struggles in 1st tri). I live in Spain and was surprised to have to give Vit D - the ped explained she will be covered in winter therefore won't get enough sun and that she hasn't enough skin anyway to absorb the amount needed. I've tried the drops myself and they taste like vegetable oil (not sweet at all !). I've tried giving them to her on a spoon and she won't take it so I've mixed into expressed milk (we do 1 feed a day) but she doesn't always drink it all so not sure how much she takes in. I did think of putting on the nipple - have you tried it?? xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->