vitamins for babies

beccyandeve

Reaction score
i am a little confused... my hv gave me a guilt trip for weaning my baby too early. hv said eve should be on milk only until 6 months and even then only baby rice. (i have been giving eve homemade food, fruit smoothies, as well as food in the jars, and she is healthy and happy. apparently this doesn't matter)

then in the next breathe she is telling me to go the health centre to pick up eve's vitamins. "all kids under 5 get free vitamins now due to the an outbreak of rickets"

can anyone else see the irony? :dohh:

How old is your LO? I am guessing the H/V's concern is more to do with the fact that there is evidence that weaning babies early can lead to possible digestive problems/more allergies etc.

Well until 6mo they don't need added vitamins..or solids. Giving solids too early increases the risk of diabetes in adulthood, obesity, digestive problems and allergies. They have plenty of vitamins from breastmilk/formula and what they have stored from when you were preg, and then the food, if they are eating healthy afterwards they don't even need added vitamins then.

yeah i understand the reasons they say this, i just thought it was funny that she was telling me not to give her food fruit veg etc... and then telling me to give her vitamin supplements.

as for the 6 month rule, my daughter went from sleeping nearly all night from being born to one day waking up starving every few hours. since giving her some food she is happier, more content and sleeps really well.

every baby is different and i have just read on another post that they are changing the reccommended age back to 4 months. not sure whether this is true or not tho??

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->