• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Waking up with rapid heartbeat

pgfairy

Reaction score
Hi all. I am 5 days post emergency section and the last few times I've gotten any sleep I have then woken up feeling a little bit like I am having a panic attack. My heart feels a little racy and I have been sweating and am very stiff especially in my limbs.

Is this something that is normal for section recovery? I have no fever, no other symptoms and am otherwise surprisingly mobile and well. It doesn't seem to fit any of the 'seek medical attention if....' criteria. My midwife is coming to see me tomorrow so I will mention it then. Should I be calling my midwife or the labour ward sooner? :shrug:

It's possible you're anaemic. A racing heart is a very classic symptom of anaemia, particularly if you lost a lot of blood during your c-section (or even if you didn't, I had a straightforward vaginal birth with little bleeding and I became anaemic after). To you ever get it walking around? I also got a racing heart and very rapid breathing when walking. Literally nearly passed out trying to walk to the loo the first couple days. Alternatively, if they check your blood and all is fine, it could simply be your body's way of waking you up to be attentive to your baby. I still, even now (my daughter is 2.5), often wake up like that the second she makes a sound. It's our body's built in way of making sure we are very attuned to our babies. To wake us up, we often get a rush of adrenaline through our bodies to alert us to respond, and it's adrenaline that makes your heart race (like if someone jumped out of somewhere and scared you), so it could also just be that as well. I still find it can be really freaky when it happens.

Btw, just wanted to say, I'm also American but live in the UK, settled here permanently now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->