Want to try BF after FF first two babies?

Justagirlxx

Mom to 2 and Preg Again!
Reaction score
Hello ladies! I am currently pregnant with #3. I FF both my children after a bad BFing experience with my son loosing weight rapidly due to tongue-tie and low milk supply. Any advice for someone trying out BFing the first time? I'm really worried about low milk supply - not sure if it was due to the tongue tie and inability for my son to really get enough in so I wasn't producing enough? Do you think its possible to try BFing after formula feeding with two kids? I'm not going to beat myself up if it doesnt work this time but I'd really love to try! Anyone ever been in my position and successfully BF?

No reason at all why you can't bf this time :flower:

I ff my eldest and have ebf my second.

I'd advise you at this stage, not to worry about low milk supply. It's actually not that common to have low milk supply on its own. Does that make sense? You had low milk supply as a result of the tongue tie most likely. Baby wasn't efficient enough at getting the milk out due to the tie and as BFing works on a supply and demand basis, your breasts therefore didn't make enough, which is a slippery slope.

This time around you may have a baby without tongue tie who gets on very well with feeding. My first wasn't very good at it and due to other issues as well I switched to ff. This time around I have a champion feeder, no reason why you can't have one as well!

Take it one day at a time, one feed at a time. I'd say the main things to remember are that it could hurt. My nipples were sore as he latched but then the pain eased as the feed went on. Ongoing pain throughout the feed can indicate a bad latch. Use lansinoh to help or rub breast milk into your nipples and let them air dry. Cracked or bleeding nipples - get someone to check your latch and for ties. It's completely normal for them to feed like crazy at first. It doesn't mean you don't have enough milk for baby.

And most importantly, if you're struggling ask for help! There are some great support groups out there.

I formula fed my first and here I am having exclusively BF my second and still going. It can definitely work. Make sure you have good BF advice and support from professionals available to you. Not sure where you are but I'm in the UK and I had a BF support worker on hand for 4 weeks after I had my baby. They were great and came to my house when I had problems. I has the same problems this time as I did first time around. Thrush and mastitis, blocked ducts. The only difference this time is that I researched lots and had support so I was strong enough to push through the bad bits.

As for low supply as pp said it's very rare so hopefully you'll be fine. Our local midwives hold a BF clinic here and they check for tongue tie. Good luck x

Thank you ladies :) I'm excited to have a try this time. That makes me feel better that low supply is rare! I really hope this baby doesnt have tongue tie and I get to BF. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->