Wanted to say hello!

sarahhoney

Mummy to Dylan
Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

Hope you are well?

Just wanted to say hello! My little man Dylan was born at 34+6 weeks weighing 4lbs 7ozs. He's doing brilliantly apart from a bit of jaundice.

He's on ebm - think my boobs were far too overwhelming for his little mouth! Having between 40 - 60mls every 3 hours. He is such a good boy and alert and strong. To be honest I keep forgetting that he's a premmie!

He lost weight but he's gaining again now. I thought I'd pop on this thread as I generally have no idea what to expect with a premmie just wondered if there are any tips or anything that I should come to expect from docs etc?!

Any help gratefully received!

xxx

Hi Sarah! :wave:

I seen you in third tri, was gonna suggest you pop over to see us, we're like a little family in here!

Dylan is a great weight and its fantastic hes drinking that much ebm, I remember i wasnt that long ago Alex was on 60mls!

Should all go to plan and his feeding is well, it shouldnt be long til you get to take him home.

How are you coping, are you ok?

Are you planning to breastfeed?

Love Sandi & Alex x

Hi Ladies,

Hope you are well?

Just wanted to say hello! My little man Dylan was born at 34+6 weeks weighing 4lbs 7ozs. He's doing brilliantly apart from a bit of jaundice.

He's on ebm - think my boobs were far too overwhelming for his little mouth! Having between 40 - 60mls every 3 hours. He is such a good boy and alert and strong. To be honest I keep forgetting that he's a premmie!

He lost weight but he's gaining again now. I thought I'd pop on this thread as I generally have no idea what to expect with a premmie just wondered if there are any tips or anything that I should come to expect from docs etc?!

Any help gratefully received!

xxx

Hi Sarah. Welcome to our little (but getting much bigger all the time!) club.

Congratulations on the birth of Dylan. I assume he's in NNICU or SCBU.

Keep trying with the breastfeeding if that is your long term goal. I thought the same thing with Abby. Her head looked like a pimple on my buxom chest when she was feeding:haha: She got there eventually though, with the help of the nipple shields.

What to expect from doctors? Well, you'll never get the same advice from two of them:dohh: But generally they are very, very good.

The only other thing I'd say, and this is more pertinant when he is still in the hospital - look after you. It's really easy to get worn down with the stress and worry and emotional / physical demands. Take time out every so often to recharge your batteries. You don't HAVE to go every day to the hospital if you feel like you need a day away.

Hello and welcome over here! :)

Glad to hear Dylan is doing well, congratulations, hope you are fine too:thumbup:

Hiya. Lovely pic under your name :)!!

When we were discharged we had to see a consultant 5 months later when they were 6 months but other than that there was nothing at all!
We were discharged into local care, HV and Doctors.

x

60mls is great! its taken 5 weeks for my LO to be able to have that much! well sometimes she helps herself to more as i always make 90ml bottles :) Jaundice is really common even in full termers it will go away :) Glad hes doing so well xxx

What to expect in terms of after-care really does seem to vary by NHS area.

Andrew had outreach midwives for six weeks after discharge, before the handover to the HV. And he's being seen monthly by the Paediatrician and Physio, to check his growth and development. (But then he was teeny-weeny :D )

I remember Andrew being on 60ml bottles about the time he was discharged, he weighed just over 4lb then. Now he's on about 140ml, five times a day. Or four times a day if he sleeps through :D

Thank you so much for the support ladies!

I should have said, we are already home! They discharged us after 2 days (wasn't impressed!) then we had to go back in due to my wound gaping and his jaundice, obviously not happy with the hospital or the midwives to be honest so I'm hoping for a bit more support from HVs. What I've found very odd is no one is treating him like he's a premmie and needs the extra attention, sometimes thats nice but at others its worrying and I feel like I need the extra information and support.

Really glad to feel like there is a place for me to come! You've all made me feel so welcome!

xxxx

Ah Sarah its a bit hit or miss when it comes to HV's and their understanding of premmies. Some have supportive and understand ones who know that its not cut and dry, you can't always just treat them like a full term baby now that they are at home.

My Health Visitor rallies around pretending Alex isn't even prem now, but does understand that developmentally and weight, could be slower. I don't go to her about anything now - I normally hit the hospital or call up neonatal(she is still under their care too)

I know that someone on here has a brill HV, so I hope you got a good one.

Wow 2 days?? I thought he was in NNU..

My hv is great. She came to see me as soon as I was out of hospital and then I was booked in with her once a week to have the girls weighed until they were 5 months old and then consultant wanted their weight charted every 4 weeks x

Yeah I can imagine it would be a bit hit and miss with HVs but I am very lucky because my mum's best friend is a HV. So once the chaos of coming home has passed then I plan on using her as much as possible!

I also want to keep as many notes as I can, haven't quite gotten to that stage yet but I want to track his feeds etc.

Congratulations! Dylan is gorgeous. I agree that it a bit hit and miss once you/him are discharged. Our HV is rubbish but we had a community nurse form the SCBU visit for a few weeks when we were first discharged and she was brilliant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->