Wanting an HBAC, needing advice and support.

lauraclili

Astrid's Mummy
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for some advice and support as I'm trying to arrange a Hbac for my second baby. My midwife is supportive but my consultant isn't and my husband is a bit iffy. We're only 5 minutes from the hospital and I had such a horrible experience last time that I burst into tears even being in the reception and I can't see it getting better. Not the best mental state to go into labour!

I'm happy with the idea of hbac and have done as much research as I am able to at the moment. I think that I stand a better chance this way. Can anyone point me in the direction of some positive stories and or support sites I can encourage my dh to read so that he realises it can be a beautiful and positive experience?

Also, I really want him on board so that he can be there to help me and be an advocate for me if needed but I worried about how to tackle this with him if he's not totally on board. Does any one have any words of wisdom?

lauraclili,

my sister had an HBAC a year ago. It was such a healing experience for her after her traumatic 1st birth which ended with a c-section. Typical hospital birth story were they unnecessarily induce you which leads to intervention after intervention. Anyways, she got pregnant again 6 months after her 1st birth. This time she decided to do a HB. Her midwife had plenty of experience working with moms that previously gave birth via c-section.

I would recommend reading, Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin. The first 124 pages of the book are birth stories of all kinds. Many of them are of women who had a c-section for the first birth and wanted vbac/hbac for their second. There is also a VBAC chapter near the end of the book. Would definitely recommend you and your husband read it together.

The Business of Being Born is a good documentary to watch together as well.

So many mommies have gone on to have wonderful vbac experiences! Your hubby just needs to be reassured that its safe. Once he hears all the facts and other peoples stories, he will feel much more at ease.

Good luck!

Hi :wave:

I had an HBAC almost a year ago and it was the most amazing and healing experience. Story is linked in my signature. There is a great Facebook group for VBAC/HBAC support. I also really recommend having a doula. Any questions ask away. It's your choice at the end of the day <3

I am also hoping to have a HBAC next time, but unfortunately midwives cannot attend VBACs in my state, or provide my prenatal care. So at this time, I am either looking at seeing an OB up until the end and having a doula/friend/"unassisted" HB, which is not exactly what I want for a VBAC, or finding an "off the books" midwife, not exactly what I want either, or driving to see an out of state midwife/birthing center, etc, which sounds pretty difficult when you are talking labor...and expensive.

I am glad your midwife is supportive and you have the opportunity that you have!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->