Wary of overfeeding her - advice?

becstar

Sleep is for the weak
Reaction score
We've been giving Ilana solids (with full support of HVs, BF consultant and GP) since just after 4 months and she loves them. She is mainly having breast milk, with a small amount of rice, porridge or purees after her milk feed in the morning and at lunch (and this evening I gave her a 'dinner', too). I have read that she'll stop when she's had enough - but the girl keeps going for ages! I'm worried about over feeding her and expanding her tummy and making her likely to be obese when she's older. Am I being stupid?

If you can, I would address that question to the BF consultant who gave support on early weaning, they tend to be more knowledgable about feeding than HVs and GPs in my experience.

It really depends on why you had to wean early as to whether you should be limiting her intake of solids, too.

Is she going on forever with the milk feeds or the food? If she is having food and then BFing for ages that doesnt necessarily mean that she is taking in alot of milk. She could be comfort sucking. As far as the food goes, I agree it depends on why you are feeding her early. I would think as long as you are giving her healthy food and letting her decide when she has had enough food then she wont over eat. If you were advised to limit the food, you could just give her a few tsp and then let her fill up on milk later on if she is still hungry.

I read that babies don't overfeed and know when they're full. But on the other hand, one of my friends baby boy used to guzzle himself and then he would be sick from eating too much so she had to limit his solid intake. So really not alot of help there, but I'd talk to your HV and see what they say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->