Water birth advice

familygirl30

Reaction score
I thinking I'm wanting one,but I heard but can't remember where that ladies with high bmi couldn't have one!i see my midwife tomorrow anyway so will ask her but just wondering if any of u ladies with high bmi have had a water birth before?

You would not be allowed waterbirth in my county with a pre-preg BMI if over 35.

You would not be allowed waterbirth in my county with a pre-preg BMI if over 35.

I think my bmi pre pregnancy was 33 but reckon b over 35 now!but hopefully should b ok if go on pre pregnancy

I was told yesterday by my midwife the cut off was BMI 30

This is why I'm having a home birth so that I can do as I please n not be stopped getting in water if I want to!

I was told yesterday by my midwife the cut off was BMI 30

This is why I'm having a home birth so that I can do as I please n not be stopped getting in water if I want to!

I can't understand y has to b a cut of point,I guess all areas work different,I will ask my midwife tomorrow

It's due to health and safety. In the case of emergency the midwives are only allowed to lift a certain weight out of the water.

It's to safeguard them that bigger ladies can't use the birthing pool.

It's due to health and safety. In the case of emergency the midwives are only allowed to lift a certain weight out of the water.

It's to safeguard them that bigger ladies can't use the birthing pool.

Surely then it should be done on weight and not BMI as a 5ft woman with a BMI of 35 would weigh less that someone who was 5ft 8 with the same bmi!

I know in Leicester it is under 35 for a water birth. I've just moved to Swindon and i'm hoping its the same as my bmi was 33 at booking.

You'd think each person would be assessed differently full stop but they seem to just use the BMI which I agree is totally wrong.

Yeah it is wrong how they work out,I doubt will get to hav water birth now anyway as just learnt the hospital only has one pool!

Oh great, that's me buggered then! Midwife said absolutely nothing when we talked about my BMI being 37, she said nothing changes, just that they may wish to get the consultant anaesthetist to talk to me nearer the end in case I need an epidural.

Damn it, hate the fact that because I'm a fatty, I can't do the things I'd like to :(

Where I am, it depends on if you're allowed to go to the birthing centre or not. I'm not, so no water birth for me. However, if this was baby number less, then I'd be allowed (I think). Plain old hospital bed birth again for me!

Ask the m/w. And kick up a bloody fuss if you have to, pain relief options are no different and water is calming.. doesn't matter if you're a fatty or a skinny! :lol:

Not only is it to do with lifting etc - I think it's also as a higher BMI is correlated with an increased risk of problems - in case of anything going wrong it's better if your on a bed rather than in a pool.

Ask your midwife, my first pregnancy I had a BMI of 34 at booking (it's done on this rather than your BMI at delivery) and I had a water birth.

There are also only two pools in a fairly busy unit, so it is luck of the draw, but would be gutted if there's not one free this time....the trick is to let labour ward know when your first having regular contractions and that your preference is to use the pool, then if they can make it happen they will. Eg they wouldn't put a lady who doesn't want a water birth in a pool room if there was a normal room available for them to use instead.

X

In my hospital it's BMI on date of delivery and can't be over 39 or 40 (can't remember). So before you give up, find out what your hospitals policy is :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->