water birth and 3rd stage??

xxchelseaxx

Reaction score
This may seem like daft questions but i like to be prepared. :thumbup:
I'm presuming after delivering my baby in the birthing pool i will have to then leave the pool for the 3rd stage.

my questions are:

Has anyone delivered the placenta in the pool? would this even be allowed/ be an option?
How much of a mess was made on route from pool to bed?
Was the cord cut before leaving the pool, then the placenta delivered out of pool?

thanks in advance xxx

Hi, I had planned with my MW to deliver my placenta naturally in the pool without the injection for delivery however my placenta would not come away and i had to have injection i stayed in the pool for this and just stood up a little. my placenta still did not com away so that is when i got out and just delivered on the floor.

so in answer to your questions yes you would be aloud and it is an option just discuss it with you MW before hand and im sure they will talk you through all your options.

Im not sure how much mess was made as i made sure i had tarpolin on the floor where i delevered.

My cord was cut in the pool and then i delivered out of the pool. however if i was delivering in the pool my cord would have been cut in the pool and then i would have delivered in the pool.

I hope this helps make your mind up.

thank you for your reply. its not something that is really discussed so finding answers without actually asking is really hard.
i really didn't expect you would be allowed to deliver it in the pool as i've heard they like to get you out pretty quickly after the birth as monitoring blood loss in the pool is difficult. therefor i thought they wouldn't want you delivering the placenta in there for those reasons.
I'm glad you replied
thank you :thumbup:

Yeah my midwife said I should come out of the pool to deliver the placenta so that they can monitor blood loss - tbh after the battle I had to get her to 'agree' to hb then I'm not really bothered! :haha:

Hi

I was asked to get out of the pool to deliver my placenta so the midwives could monitor the blood loss. I was still holding Alex (with the cord intact) when I "hopped" out of the pool and just sat on the floor with my back against the pool. OH then cut the cord and then he took Alex for his first cuddles. The midwives then massaged my tummy to encourage a contraction to come and then I delivered the placenta naturally (it happened 12 minutes after Alex was born). There was hardly any mess at all. I had large shower curtains on the carpet and the midwives had also put down disposable sheets which they took away with them. x

I was in the pool until the cord stopped pulsating and then DH cut it. At that point I was asked to get out of the pool. Interesting, I distinctly remember a conversation betwen the two midwives about whether I should stay in or get out to deliver the placenta and one of them said something about the reason she didn't deliver placentas in the water - I don't remember exactly but it was something like hypothetical risk of cord apruption or something, I am sure it wasn't quite that but it was something along those lines, and the other midwife said 'tosh'!
Anyway I perched on the side of the pool and waited for ages but the midwife said they had to deliver the placenta within a certain time frame so at that point I walked to the bed, had the injection and it came out within a couple of minutes.

Any MW worth her salt should be able to assess blood loss in the pool, and then recommend you get out if PPH is a concern- but it shouldn't be routine to get out.

Your birth your choice. So even if you have just given birth and they say it is policy to get out - or they don't feel confident to asses blood loss in water, then that is their inexperience at fault, not yours. You do what you feel comfortable with. A pressure to get out with baby immediately after will hinder and disrupt your bonding, skin to skin, and cord clamping (that is if you decide you would like to cut at all - you don't have to) all these things could lengthen the time to deliver the placenta. Make your intentions clear and make sure you have a "water birth confident" and appropriately experienced MW in attendance.

You certainly don't have to be "allowed" to have a physiological 3rd stage in the pool! That is wrong on so many levels!
XxxX

I had a natural third stage and delivered the placenta in the birthing pool so it is possible! Bearing in mind when my bloods came through my platelets were really low so I was pretty lucky not to bleed a lot.

I had to get out because my midwife recognised my blood loss in the water. A midwife who attends water births should know how to do this. I delivered the placenta naturally but standing over the water. There was a bit of a rush to birth the placenta as they knew I wanted to lotus birth. After the placenta came, a towel was placed between my legs and we walked to a mattress on the ground in another room. The mess was cleaned by other people so I don't know what it was like just that my bathroom is now looking like nothing happened despite being told there was blood up the wall.

The only thing on my mind was getting up and walking to the mattress and having skin to skin with my baby. Everyone else was worrying about the other details.

I delivered my placenta in the pool after LO was born in there. LO and I had a cuddle whilst we waited for the cord to stop pulsing (took a while), then DH cut the cord. LO was then handed over to him (I think - bit hazy!) whilst I waited to deliver the placenta which happened naturally and without too much bother. This was in hospital, not at home.

I would most definately recommend a water birth to anyone - just seemed normal and natural to me - I can't image the 'dry' version! Hope you get what you want.

one of my midwives told me that some of the team are happy for you to stay in the pool and some would rather you get out... im staying in and thats that... tbh my birth is not about what *they* would prefer!!! Im really being adament this time and being a birth diva!!

one of my midwives told me that some of the team are happy for you to stay in the pool and some would rather you get out... im staying in and thats that... tbh my birth is not about what *they* would prefer!!! Im really being adament this time and being a birth diva!!

I'm going with this moto too. It really bugs me when its a case of some prefer this, some prefer that, unless there is a problem surely it should be what the birthing mother prefers :thumbup:

1. I've seen plenty of women give birth in the pool or tub

2. If you want to leave the pool before placenta is out you can put a chux pad on your bottom and your MW and family/whoever is there will help you move.

3. Depends on you. You can cut the cord once baby is born or you can wait. We waited until after placenta was out which was around 12 mintues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->