Water Birth - Which Pool?

chattyB

Reaction score
I'm currently 34 weeks with my 4th baby and planning a home water birth. Do any of you lovely ladies have any recommendations for birth pools?

Currently in the running are the two "main" pools available in the UK - Birth Pool In A Box (the larger oval shaped one with seat and handles) or the La Bassine (same shape, two handles, no seat but cheaper).

Which one should I go for? What are the Pros/cons for each? Gonna need to get my finger out soon and get it delivered before the xmas postal rush swings into action!

Thanks in advance :flower:

I loved my La Bassine and the bottom inflates too so very comfy. I didn't sit too much in it, more on my knees in a deep squat.

I had a mini birth pool in a box, it was great. Plenty big enough for me. I didn't really sit down in it, I mainly leaned over the side and it was really supportive.

Thanks! I'm swaying towards the La Bassine, purely for financial reasons really - will be ordering tomorrow I think :)

I had the standard size birth pool in a box as I'm quite tall but in retrospect it was too big for me so this time we will be going for La Bassine. We also struggled to maintain the water temp as the pool was so big so as the La Bassine is smaller we hopefully won't have the same problem.

used the oval birth pool in a box, and ended up using the seat to lean my tail back on to deliver, so i am glad it was in there.

I had a La Bassine and was very happy with it! perfect size for me (I'm 5' 7") and it was so comfy. I, too, was squatting, so spent most of my time on my knees. :thumbup:

I used the Deluxe Aquarium kids blow up pool from Toys R Us. I'm short so got the smaller of the two. AUD$60 and I loved it so much I got the same one for my subsequent births. I like that it has a nice blow up bottom so if you are kneeling it's comfy. Afterwards it can be used as a pool.

I used the Birth Pool in a Box, and I loved it! Comfy on the knees, good seat, handles all over the shop and sides you could sit on. What more could a girl want. Oh yes, we can now use it as a pool outdoors to sit in and sip Pimms come the summer months! ;)

I mainly use La Bassine with my clients but have used BPIAB with some who are taller. Both great, both easy to use. If space is an issue then la Bassine is compact but you don't lose any function at all :)

I also am planning on using the Intex kids' aquarium pool. I'll let you know how it goes soon! :thumbup:

I was advised not to use a kiddy paddling pool as they weren't deep enough? I don't know if anyone can shed any light on this? I mean, it's all academic now, but I'd be interested to know :)

My midwives were fine with me getting a kiddy pool. I know it's not as deep as other birth pools (mine is 22'' and I think most other birth tubs are around 25-26''), but they're great if you're on a budget. Here's a picture I found for a size comparison (this isn't mine; I haven't inflated mine yet): https://www.hippiedippiebebe.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/birthingpool11.jpg

This is where I got my pool from and it is the same cost regardless of size. I ordered the mini as the new ones have seats in them too!

https://m.waterbabybirthingpoolhire.co.uk/Which-Pool-.html

My midwives were fine with me getting a kiddy pool. I know it's not as deep as other birth pools (mine is 22'' and I think most other birth tubs are around 25-26''), but they're great if you're on a budget. Here's a picture I found for a size comparison (this isn't mine; I haven't inflated mine yet): https://www.hippiedippiebebe.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/birthingpool11.jpg

That IS deep! I couldn't find anything approaching that deep that wasn't a birth pool when I was looking! Just interested to know, like I say, is all academic now for me, but still like to keep an eye on what's what ;)

I was advised not to use a kiddy paddling pool as they weren't deep enough? I don't know if anyone can shed any light on this? I mean, it's all academic now, but I'd be interested to know :)

That's a weird comment since they are all different sizes and depth would depend on which one you get. I was taught that you want to have the water at least up to your armpits. I got one that was well deep enough for me and as deep as the waterbirth specific pools you can buy. A tiny baby wading pool wont be deep enough but a larger pool will be.

This is where I got my pool from and it is the same cost regardless of size. I ordered the mini as the new ones have seats in them too!

https://m.waterbabybirthingpoolhire.co.uk/Which-Pool-.html

I'm getting mine from there (I hope) too. I'm torn between the mini BPIAB and the La bassine - I don't want something that takes too long to fill and being only 5ft 3 I don't need that much room either. Can't decide on which :shrug:

Apparently, it's because the cold air stimulates the breathing reflex, making baby take first breath, in water birth it's intended that the head breaks the surface first. If the pool is too shallow a different part of the baby my break the surface first.

However I could be wrong

Thanks for your input ladies :D. I'm only 5'4 so gone for the La Bassine ... I've got a history of quick labours so I'm hoping a slightly smaller pool will be quicker to fill. I'll let you know how I find it when the big day arrives :)

i have used the hospitals hard sided oval pool and a mini birth pool in a box and both i found fairly comfortable really considering i couldnt get comfy really no matter how i posistioned myself lol will use my mini birth pool in a box for the next baby

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->