Water Labor

luckyme225

Reaction score
So I realized being 1/2 way through now that I should start getting my birth plan and all the good stuff together. I want to try to go as long as possible without wanting an epidural and through reading material on the internet I've learned that for many women it does wonders to labor in the tub. The hospital I'm going to does offer jacuzzi births but the L&D nurses at my work said it's best to just labor in the tub then deliver above water. So now I'm considering doing a water labor and was wondering if anyone else here has experienced a water birth before and what their experience was like having one?

I wanted to use the birthing Pool for my labour and birth but dosent look like it is going to go to plan now any ways, but apparently its meant to be really relaxing. You cant have anything other than gas and air if you opt for this though.

X

lol yeah.... thats the down side... but I figure I would try a natural way of relieving pain. Who knows though, I've never experienced labor pains before so no matter what my birthing plan is it could go straight out the window LOL!

yeah thats very true.

If you deciede to go for a water birth why dont you take the relaxation classes... I was interested in the aromotherapy classes but the girl who ran them was ill so i never got to go but it looks like im going to be induced now any ways.

Xx

My doctor told me to labor at home in my tub as long as I can (I have a jacuzzi tub, and the hospital I'm going to deliver at doesn't). I would love to have a home/water birth, but I'm going to wait until my second baby for that.

I decided against pethidine, epidural before hand (well I was keeping an open mind as obviously you don't know how your labour will go, but I would rather not have). I was also really against a water birth.

Just to tell you briefly, I was having back pain for days before I gave birth then had my show at 5:30am then had my baby at 7:10pm.. around 14 hours I think, they had no rooms for me when I got to hospital and I was left in a corridoor for hours. I got a really lovely birthing room in the posh bit (lol) that you usually had to book months in advance. I was 7-8cm dilated and in A LOT of pain, gas and air wasn't helping too much and laying down was too painful so when they mentioned getting in the tub I was saying only "yes yes yes" - (not trying to worry you, and your labour may be completely different..).

It was soo lovely (apart from the pain).. and when she was born, it was such a nice calm place to be with her! I also had a mood light on the ceiling (see if you can get anything like that) and they made me tea and biscuits in the tub lol.

Sorry for waffling, but next time I give birth it will definitely be in the water!
By the way, why does she say it is better to give birth out of the water?:S

I'm not really sure the girls used some really big medical terms but I know it has something to do with fluid. They had a baby that had to be resuscitated with fluid in his lungs because the stinker decided to take a breath before he was fully out of the water. I'm sure it's quite rare though.

Also, I was wondering how come you can't take a bath when your water breaks when your at home but you can at the hospital? I would love to stay at home as long as possible... which might not be long knowing me haha!

I have been thinking a lot about this as well. I wanted to start on my birth plan a couple of weeks ago, and that was one option that I had heard about, and just decided to do a little bit of research. It sounds really relaxing, and a great environment to bring a baby into. Also, DH would be able to get in the tub with me, and hold me while laboring. That would be very nice, I'm most relaxed when hes holding me now. I am a little bit nervous of not having the option of an epidural once I was laboring, but I would much rather use water as a pain reliever if possible.

I read that babies do not take their first breath of air until the baby and the umbilical cord is completely exposed to air. What happened was probably really rare. I was a little worried about that as well, but from reading online, I found that it is actually a much less stressful transition for the baby to go from your womb, into warm water, than into cold air.

I'm really glad that someone else is considering this, because the only person so far that has really agreed with me on this, was my mom. DH I think wants to do more research himself, and my sister thought I was crazy.

I don´t think you are crazy at all - I´ve started looking into this as well, as I´ve read that its less painful for us and exactly what you said that its easier and less stressful for the baby to arrive into warm water rather than cold air.

I also like the idea that my husband can sit behind me in the tub and I can squeeze his legs if the pain gets too bad - after all it takes two to make a baby, so it can take two to suffer the pain in getting the baby out!!!

I'm planning a home birth and possibly a water birth. I've seen women give birth while in the tub, and I didn't notice any negative effects. Baby isn't going to start breathing until it reaches air so baby won't drown (at least that's what i read). I do believe giving birth in water may be an easier transition for baby. I also plan to give birth in a quiet, dimly lit place.

You're not crazy. I've had that ^^^ birth plan for years now.

Yeah, I'm kind of excited about the thought of laboring in the water. Whenever I'm uncomfortable or stressed I love to take a bath!! One of my favorite way to relax :) I think it would probably be the only way I could labor without an epi because sometimes I don't deal with pain that well.

**By the way I asked one of the nurses who said that and she says she has never seen it in her 35 years at the hospital and she would just be worried to resuscitate a child with water in his lungs but as long as the water stays 99 degrees baby shouldn't have the urge to take a breath. =) that made me feel better!!!!

ok, daft question...but doesnt the water go all pink and yukky??.....(I'm early on in this adventure and curious!!)

I laboured with my first son in a pool at the hospital. It was great, the water takes away all the pressure you feel when contracting. The only reason I didn't give birth in the water is that my son came down side ways and would not turn round, so I was moved to the medical section of the hospital and gave birth there. im due my second son on 14th feb and i will definately be having a water birth this time. hope this helps.

ok, daft question...but doesnt the water go all pink and yukky??.....(I'm early on in this adventure and curious!!)
I didn't notice any pink and yukkyness! id imagine it's not the most crystal clear water, but cleaner than a birth out of water as theres so much water in there with you it gets diluted lol eww.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->