Ways of helping a newborn latch

dinosaur2010

Reaction score
I've made a new friend in town who's got a one month old.
He doesn't breastfeed. She's desperate to start so is expressing but also has to top up with formula as she can't express enough for each feed.
She came round the other day and showed me what he does. She straight away tried him in the rugby ball hold- he started screaming blue murder (he was hungry at this time)
I suggested she give him a little bottle then try again. She did and started trying the rugby hold again, he wasn't happy- so I showed her the cross cradle position.
He seemed to look as if he's about to latch but just at the point where he should start sucking, he comes off. So she have him the whole bottle then tried again- he lay for about 15 mins just snuffling around her nipple with the teat just at his lips- great progress I thought.
It says on kellymom that a baby that doesn't breastfeed can't breastfeed.
Does anyone have anything else I could suggest for her? She seems so desperate to breastfeed- she didn't even buy bottles.
However- I don't think she's trying to put him to the boob very often as she is associating it with stress and disappointment.
I had a similar struggle with dd1 but it was only 3 weeks and one day she just latched and fed. So I'm hoping he will do the same but she did mention she gave herself a week without trying him at all.
Can a baby start breastfeeding at a month do you think?

Holding baby pressed against the boob helps me. And also pinching the boob so its pointy (but not painful!!) So it fits into your baby's mouth. Always push/bring the baby to the boob and hold him there.

Fussing is normal, even for some breastfed babies.

Try many comfortable positions too. Sitting forward. Sitting back. Laying back. Side laying. Side sitting. Etc. To get the baby to latch.

She should consult YouTube videos and a lactation consultant.

Would a nipple shield or latch assist help? Maybe the nipple shield as it has the latex texture the baby is used to, then try to ween off the shield?

Tongue tie? Dd1 was like this, screaming hungry and wanted to bf but because a baby has to bring their tongue forward to make the latch and hers was stuck to the bottom of her mouth she couldn't. So she'd open her mouth, look like she was latching but she couldn't so she'd scream. It broke my heart once I got an IBCLC involved and found out she physically couldn't bf despite following all her instincts because of the tt. We ended up using nipple shields until she had the tt snipped, but then about 2 weeks after that I had to move to ff anyway :(

Yes, have her give the nipple shield a go. It solved all my bf'ing problems! :)

https://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

Can she see an IBCLC? Baby has probably developed a bottle preference by now but that doesn't mean she can't get him back to the breast. Not sure what Kelly mom stricken you saw but there is a great one on getting baby back to the breast

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->