We finally have a diagnosis.

ellismum

Ellis' mum!!
Reaction score
I'm soooo relieved, a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders and my concerns and fears have been acknowledged and confirmed. I'm so glad i went with my gut instincts that he wasn't a typical toddler, he's not and its finally been made "official" we're not bad parents who can't control or reason with our son, he has a condition.

Ellis has ADHD. It would also appear I do too.

So now starts a new chapter in our story. The team who have been following him, helping him, observing him have been amazing. Next battle - We need to appeal the councils decision to not fund classroom support. Every single professional who has had the pleasure to meet Ellis has recommended it. At home support, SENCO at his pre school, his Paed, the MDA team, everyone.

Please, mums, if you have any concerns seek help. Trust your instinct and talk to someone.

Glad you have finally got the diagnosis.. I am the mum of an adhder too so know the struggles it takes to get this far... He must be quite severe to get a diagnosis so young? How are you coping?

Glad you have finally got the diagnosis.. I am the mum of an adhder too so know the struggles it takes to get this far... He must be quite severe to get a diagnosis so young? How are you coping?

Thanks xxx

We struggle more often than not if I'm honest on a daily basis as I'm sure you'll know. I'd love to take him to swimming lessons or football clubs but need 1 - 2 - 1 sessions which are fully booked. The thought of going on holiday, waiting at airports, going on a plane, being near pools and the sea brings me out in a cold sweat. Shopping can be a mare, he has to touch everything, run off, tantrum big time as there is just no reasoning with him as to why he can't have the same toy on sale that he has at home for example! Last year at Butlins he managed to break out of the indoor play area despite watching him and we found him the other side if the complex blissfully unaware he wasn't with us. Going for a walk anywhere we still have to hold his hand, he'd be in the road in the blink of an eye! And just once, when we ask him to stop doing something, and he did, I'd be so so happy but he doesn't :(

He's was refered at 2 1/2 after a S&L session from hell and it was initially Autism they were concerned about. He would never look you in the eye (still struggles now) didn't listen to instruction from myself and and therapist and was on his own agenda. From there was had assessments and observations at home, regular appointments with the Paed and since pre school, at school too. We also had a very long MDA where the diagnosis was made. Over time his symptoms have become more defined. He still has ASD traits (his obsessions and the eye contact problems for example) but everyone who has met him and observed over the years have all come the same conclusion. You can confidently tick every box with him :cry:

We are delaying his start at school till January. His Pre-School have been fantastic but don't feel he'll cope with the more structed school environment as he struggles now (he wonders off alot, flits between activites, struggles with the larger group) we're applying for funding for a LSA upon their and his new schools recommendation.

I've been given information about local support groups which I'm going to look into. Any tips and suggestions (and support) from parents who are going through the same as us is welcome with open arms! Xxx

Just wanted to say it will get better!!!
My 6 yr old was diagnosed as ASD as a toddler/preschooler now he's officially ADHD. it is very hard at times but hard work and a good support system goes a long way. we still have struggles but he's definitely better. still not very good eye contact, but at least now when i say stop, 5 out of 10 times he'll listen.
Good luck on your journey.

Just wanted to say it will get better!!!
My 6 yr old was diagnosed as ASD as a toddler/preschooler now he's officially ADHD. it is very hard at times but hard work and a good support system goes a long way. we still have struggles but he's definitely better. still not very good eye contact, but at least now when i say stop, 5 out of 10 times he'll listen.
Good luck on your journey.

Thanks hon, that's good to hear and certainly something ill remember when I feel like screaming (I don't BTW lol)

Can I ask how he gets on at school? Does he have any additional support? We got his school information pack at the weekend with details of his settling in sessions. I've for a meeting with his new Head teacher thursday to discuss what's happening xxx

wow thats fantastic to get a diagnosis so young. well done. xxx

So glad he has a diagnosis! That will help so much to have the extra support for school. My friend's son has ADHD (he's almost 9 now). For her it made a huge difference getting the diagnosis - the school suddenly became way more supportive and he had he was suddenly eligible lots of extra help which he really needed. I agree it's fab you got a diagnosis so young - there won't be years of negative judgements :( My friend's son went through that before he was diagnosed at 6. But on a good note, he's doing amazing now - he's a smart kid with just unbelievable physical capabilities.

So glad he has a diagnosis! That will help so much to have the extra support for school. My friend's son has ADHD (he's almost 9 now). For her it made a huge difference getting the diagnosis - the school suddenly became way more supportive and he had he was suddenly eligible lots of extra help which he really needed. I agree it's fab you got a diagnosis so young - there won't be years of negative judgements :( My friend's son went through that before he was diagnosed at 6. But on a good note, he's doing amazing now - he's a smart kid with just unbelievable physical capabilities.

Thanks Sun.

Ellis's physical strength amazes me and others, he was walking early at 9.5 months and has soooo much energy. The paed said they didn't usually give a diagnosis at this age but everyone was in confident agreement its ADHD and by doing so will give us further clout when applying for help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->