weaning a prem baby

janine-louise

Reaction score
Hi Mummys, my little angel was due 20th June but made an early apperance I had her 11th May (6 weeks early) She is now 21 weeks old.
Shes been brill, feeding 7oz every 3-4 hrs and sleeping staright through, But for the past 5 days shes been leaving 3 oz every feed, shes been really unsettled, waking in the nights, and its as if shes bored of the milk BUT.. shes teething, red cheeks, wingy, wants a dummy... I tried her on baby rice but she didnt really take to it, Is anyone else in a similar situation with me with a prem baby?... Midwifes advised me not to ween until Dec!!! Theres no way my baby girl will last that long!!

My friend had her baby 5 weeks early and weaned at 6 months actual age rather than corrected age but I'm not sure what the situation is if you think you need to wean earlier than that. It may just be that she's teething and things will settle down in a few days :hugs:

There's also a premature baby section on the forum, they might be able to give you a bit more help.

We waiting till Poppy was 6 months before weaning but she wasn't showing any signs of 'needing' food before then. She didn't sleep through till she was on 3 meals a day! She was 6 weeks early too .

Molly was also 11 weeks early and I started weaning her at 17 weeks actual age. She has been putting on weight absolutely fine and loves her food.

Matthew was 7 weeks prem and we started weaning a few weeks ago as paediatrician wanted his weight up so far so good, go with your instict hun mummy knows best - if you do start early start of small and try and avoid dairy til your lo is 6 months corrected - some baby yoghurts etc made with formula x

Hi
My baby was 5 weeks early and I started to wean him at 5 months for help with weight gain. He started on baby rice with EBM and now is on to fruit and veg purees.
I was told by HV that prem babies have a lot less iron supply stored up so early weaning can be a good thing for them??
Good luck!!

Hey there, Archie was born 13 weeks early and I started weaning him at 5 and a half months actual. I was advised that prem babies are weaned from their actual date, was weird for us as Archie looked like a 2 and a half month old baby that we were feeding. We got some looks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->