Weaning a premie

Mrs Doddy

1 pink 1 blue
Reaction score
Ok so jess is 8 months old next week and weighs a very small 11lbs 8oz she has 4 bottles a day (amount varies by each feed) average 18oz a day and three solid meals a day , breakfast of weetabix, porridge lunch bread and Philadelphia, peppers, cheese, dinner purée mine or jar

I went to a weaning class (blw) and they said milk first then solids after, the hv today said it should be the other way round, some people say they have cut out a bottle(rather than the child dropping it) because of her weight I dnt know what's best - asking hv is just confusing me !!

Hey there i'm weaning Ella just now too who is almost 8months (4.5 corrected). Our HV advised solids first then milk around 30mins later (or earlier if demanded) however Ella has other ideas and wants her milk first. So i say go with what is right for your LO. As for dropping feeds i wouldn't stop a feed because of weight gain. My experience lately has been that our cherubs tell us when they no longer want milk. Ella dropped her night feed leaving us with 4 feeds a day of approx 6oz each sometimes less but then a few nights ago started waking at 4am! :growlmad: Sorry i'm being pretty useless at helping you. Think we all in the dark when it comes to weaning as info we get from the folks who are meant to know is inconsistent. :wacko:

I personally stuck with solids first, milk later. Isnt the idea of weaning is to wean off milk as the sole food and onto solids? Im not sure??

I personally stuck with solids first, milk later. Isnt the idea of weaning is to wean off milk as the sole food and onto solids? Im not sure??

Yep i'd say it was but personally for me if i gave Ella her solids first (which i've tried) then she barely takes any milk which then worries me senseless. I'm probably doing it all wrong but then it seems to work for us fine for now.

Oh of course id do the same, whatever works at end of the day :)

Hi
My premie little girl is almost 10 months (8 1/2 months corrected) she is having 3 bottles a day 6 or 7 oz at a time she has a 7 oz bottle when she wakes then 8.00/8.30 either weetabix or porridge & yoghurt for breakfast then 12/1 pm 200gr jar of 7 months plus food then custard or fruit, 7oz bottle at 3.00pm small veg jar and a rice cake then 6/7 oz bottle before bed at 7.15/7.30
My lo went through a stage of wanting her milk first then food but she grew out of that and loves her food then juice/water afterwards she is now sleeping through the night so i hope we are doing everything right
You just never know hahaha GOOD LUCK & let me know how you get on xx

Milk first and then solids untill 1 and then switch round. Milk should provide the bulk of calories untill 1. Babys should have a minimum of 20 oz of formula/ breastmilk a day untill one year AFTER DUE DATE.

All taken from my NHS weaning booklet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"