Weaning a small preemie - quantities?

Marleysgirl

Mum to a SCBU Warrior!
Reaction score
Hi there,

This may be a daft question but I'll ask it anyway!

Just starting to wean Andrew, and various weaning books (!) say that you should start on one teaspoon of baby rice for a meal. Is this aimed at a "normal size" weaning baby, and should I expect to decrease the quantity when wearning Andrew (at 7lb)? He doesn't seem to want to eat the full amount, and I'm thinking, with his small size & stomach, that would make sense.

What's the experience of other mums of small preemies? Did you feed less than the guidance suggests?

Obviously I feed him until he starts to refuse, so I'm being guided by him - but I want reassuring that the lesser quantity of food is normal, and not him refusing out of awkwardness!

Yeah your doing it as I did. It soon wont be long though before he is eating the full amount.

Be lead by Andrew. Your doing well!

Did you both feed after a milk feed or in the middle of a milk feed?

I'm feeding after a milk feed, at this stage I want him to get his full milk and only as much food as he wants, the softly-softly approach!

Sounds like you are doing the right thing, I started Emily on very small amounts and now she can't get enough, she had a whole Ella Organics today fed by Daddy she kept screaming for more.

You will start off with small amounts then watch as Andrew starts growing really quickly and then he will want more and more...weaning is such fun...good luck and as other mums have said above, take Andrew's lead...am so pleased you have got to the point of weaning what amazing progress...x

Sounds like you are doing the right thing, I started Emily on very small amounts and now she can't get enough, she had a whole Ella Organics today fed by Daddy she kept screaming for more.

You will start off with small amounts then watch as Andrew starts growing really quickly and then he will want more and more...weaning is such fun...good luck and as other mums have said above, take Andrew's lead...am so pleased you have got to the point of weaning what amazing progress...x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->