Weaning advice

Fluxuspoem

Mama
Reaction score
Hi everyone

My LO is suffering with terrible Acid Reflux and have been told by doctors that when she goes on solids she will start getting better.

Now I know its too early now and I am not planning to do this now obviously, but I am keen to find out at what age is safe to start weaning a premmie? This way I can start feeling a bit more positive about her reflux and have something to look forward to in terms of relieving her pains!

Also, how did you all do it? Very keen to know your experiences

She was born on week 33 btw

thank you x

He there, you can start weaning from their actual age. It look s a bit weird feeding a small baby but it does help with weight gain and reflux. If you go to the BLISS website they have a booklet about weaning a preemie that you can download.

Good luck! x

BLISS guidelines are 5-7 months actual age.

My HV yesterday told me that she'd recently read some research that suggested earlier weaning of premmies was beneficial in terms of weight gain. Her attitude was that the baby will tell you if s/he isn't ready, by gagging on the food and not swallowing. Andrew is just 5 months actual, and she was quite happy that we'd started puree-based weaning, and encouraged us to look into baby-led weaning when Andrew is older and can grasp food.

Have you heard of Enfamil A.R.??

Check out my Enfamil post. Its readily available on prescription and could help.:coffee:

I started weaning Molly at 17 weeks actual age (she was born at 29 weeks).

have the doctors not prescribed anything? the first step to try is Gaviscon. if that doesn't work, there are other meds to try. But like i said in another reflux thread,doctors can help. Being sick all the time can hurt LOs throat, and the acid can be really uncomfortable. Some doctors try to say they will grow out of it, and that is not on.

Gaviscon thickens milk, just to be like an anti reflux milk.

Reflux is said to be more common in preemie, dunno why tho! :shrug:

we are on meds and Gaviscon, life is so much better! it would tide you over til christinas ready for weaning! x

She is taking ranitidine ( sp) but still having really bad days sometimes. Now thinking of starting Domperidone to empty her stomach contents quicker. Currently in Greece so that is their first line of approach towards infant reflux! May I ask what meds is your LO taking Sb22?

x

it's ranitidine and domperidone, it certainly saved us all from insanity from the first few days we started,we're still on it and could be for a while,but it does the job and everyone is happy! i hope that works for you! x

oh hun, it really is hard to see our lo in pain from the acid coming back up and stomach aches :hugs:

Have you tried propping her moses basket/cot up so she is lying at an angle? This works as acid reflux in premmies in particular but also term babies is that (sorry for the lack of technical terms here) the little flappy bit from the stomach and the respriratory tract up to throat is underdeveloped and does not effectivly stop stomach acid from going up, by lying baby on a slight incline and also slightly on left side is that the wee flappy bit is aimed down towards the feet so less chance of acid coming up, when lying flat on back acid may rise.

Ob I cant recommend baby lying in this position but it was a godsend for Matthew as he lay awake at night very unsettled and grunting alot after night feeds and as soon as tried this he slept all night peacefully xx

hi

yes we have her cot and everything in an angle all the time, doesnt seem to do much for her to be honest, she refuses to lie down on her back. She prefers being on her front so we end up me holding her on top of me while she sleeps... bless her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->