Weaning help

MoominJ

Reaction score
I'm starting to think about weaning (not starting yet, he's 17 weeks but want to get some info ready) so, I'd like to stop breastfeeding at the 6 month mark how do I go about that? Can I just switch him on to formula?

I'd thought about continuing with just the evening feed but I'd really like to be able to go out for tea with friends etc n not have to be back to feed. I've been slowly filling the freezer with expressed milk, can I mix this with formula so it last longer?

When he's staring to eat purees and food will he still need as much milk, I gathered from the health visitor that I swap the milk for food e.g start of with breakfast. But how long will it take till he's just on food?

Any info or good links would be muchly appreciated so I know where to start!

I don't want this to sound judgemental (it really isn't meant to be) I'm just genuinely curious as to why you want to stop bf at 6months. For me, bf was so hard for the first 3-4months and it only really got easy and ultra useful after those early months. I can't imagine dealing with teething, sleep regressions, overtiredness etc. without bf!

Re your questions, milk (whether breast or formula) is still a really important part of their nutrition until at least 1yr and sometimes beyond. I disagree with your HV that you swap milk for food. I've always heard you make sure they have their milk first and then introduce food as an extra. (e.g morning bottle at 7am, breakfast at 8:30am etc). My LO still bf about the same until we got to about 8months old when she started to be disinterested in some of the feeds. Then there was a growth spurt at 1yr when she ate everything in site every 2 hrs AND was still bfing 4 x a day!

I've not really decided yet, 6 months was my goal! I wasn't really looking forward to breastfeeding but wanted the best for my lo. I do enjoy bits of it like the closeness and the bond but there are things that I'm not keen on. I hate feeding in public, mainly because I have a fast let down and only recently has he been able to cope with it but still sometimes it sprays out everywhere.

I'm also a size 10 and my boobs have gone up to a 32H, I have implants too so there beginning to get very heavy! I'd also like to have a bit more freedom and not have to worry about feeding lo, esspecially at night would be nice. I don't know, there just seems to be more reasons to stop, but at the same time I think I'll find it hard to stop!

I've not really decided yet, 6 months was my goal! I wasn't really looking forward to breastfeeding but wanted the best for my lo. I do enjoy bits of it like the closeness and the bond but there are things that I'm not keen on. I hate feeding in public, mainly because I have a fast let down and only recently has he been able to cope with it but still sometimes it sprays out everywhere.

I'm also a size 10 and my boobs have gone up to a 32H, I have implants too so there beginning to get very heavy! I'd also like to have a bit more freedom and not have to worry about feeding lo, esspecially at night would be nice. I don't know, there just seems to be more reasons to stop, but at the same time I think I'll find it hard to stop!

The fast let down must be a pain in public. However I'm wondering if maybe your supply hasn't quite regulated if your boobs are still bigger than they were. I know everyone is different but usually your boobs shrink a little once supply has regulated and letdowns aren't as fearsome. I was 30G when first breastfeeding but at around 16 -18 weeks had to get some new bras fitted as I'd gone down to a 30DD.

Anyway that's beside the point. It is up to you and I understand some of your reasoning (especially someone else doing a bit of the slog!) as long as you are OK with the fact that you might have to prepare as many bottles and do as many formula feeds as you had to do breastfeeds!

I think it's definitely regulated as they feel all squishy and don't tend to let down on their own anymore, I've also worried there's not enough in them for him but I no there is! I started of a 32G and went up to a H which felt tight but could find any bigger decent bras, they fit perfectly now!

I think because I've had the 6 month milestone in my head since before even getting pregnant that that's as far as I'll go... It will probably be more like 7 months as I don't want to just one day switch!
Can't wait to wear normal bras (been struggling with tops because of how industrial bras are in my size) and no more breast pads haha

Yes you can mix formula and breast milk together to make up a bottle. I think this would be better for babies tummy or he maybe get constipated if you just change him from breast milk to formula overnight.

I think if I was wanting to stop I would drop one feed for a bottle feed and when your boobs have coped with that swap another one.

Yes you can mix formula and breast milk together to make up a bottle. I think this would be better for babies tummy or he maybe get constipated if you just change him from breast milk to formula overnight.

I think if I was wanting to stop I would drop one feed for a bottle feed and when your boobs have coped with that swap another one.

Thanks, that would also help my boobs cope I suppose! Which feed do u think would be best to drop first? I'm hoping that if I can gather a good freezer stash it would make the transition easier!

If I can part breastfeed and formula feed I might carry on with some feeds and have the best of both?

It's a nice idea to have the best of both worlds. Don't quote me but I think there is more of a chance your milk may dry up. Someone a bit more clued up may be able to settle that ....?

I mixed from the start with ds1 as he was in nicu and I never managed to produce as much as he required through pumping. Towards the end of bf'ing we just fed during the night but managed until he was 8 month.

I would prob drop a late afternoon one? Then you know your going to get some relief from an empty before bed x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->