Weaning off the pump at 1 year

eskimohime

Reaction score
I apologize if this question has already been asked in this forum. I have been working and pumping at work since my lo was 3 months old. I pump 3 times a day (morning, noon, afternoon) and always breastfeed when we are together at home and on weekends. For daycare, I currently send three 4 oz bottles (total of 12 oz).

My lo is almost 10 months now and I have been thinking about how to wean off the pump by 1 year. I am okay with pumping once at noon, but I'd like to eventually drop the morning and afternoon pump sessions. I have a few questions:

1. How should I gradually drop the morning and afternoon pump sessions? Should I pump a little less time each day?
2. For daycare, should I be gradually sending less milk? I'm thinking maybe starting off with sending two 4 oz bottles and then maybe two 3 oz bottles? What do other moms do? I do have a freezer stash so I can always supplement.
3. Should I be weaning her off the bottle at one year and sending EBM in sippy cups instead?
4. Do I need to replace EBM with other milk/water/juice?

Sorry so many questions!!! Thank you so much in advance!!!

Interested in what answers you get sorry I don't have any, I'm just at the 5w mark!

I imagine stopping pumping is the same as stopping breastfeeding. I just stopped a feed at a time, so I would say drop the noon feed first, then after a couple of weeks drop the evening feed and then drop the morning feed. I dropped the night feed last as baby refused breastfeeding a feed at a time over a six week period. One night she refused it and that was that - I just stopped. Body got used to it very quickly - no engorgement. Btw well done you for pumping - Sounds like a lot of effort!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->