weaning

cowboys angel

new mama & wife and ttc#2
Reaction score
My hv today asked me if I had started weaning her yet. I said no, which she said was fine, I had plenty of time to wean her.

But my question is, how does being a premie effect weaning? My LO was born at 35 weeks so she wasn't a really 'premie premie' but she still is a premie.

How did you all handle this? Age? Development? How do I know if she's ready?

Guidelines suggest you should wean your preemie according to their actual age and not corrected. Approx between 5 and 7months. Take a wee look at the Bliss guidelines. They have a good wee booklet you can download on weaning. x

So...following that she's 3 months, not that she 'should be' 2 months?

And thanks

I think it really comes down to each individual baby. Is she watching you eat? Does she have good head control? You will know yourself when it feels the right time. There is so much conflicting info out there about weaning. I say go with your gut instincts. :) Like you said there is no rush if she is only 3months actual.

I started weaning at 6.5months actual (Ella was only 3months corrected, 25weeker) and took it really really slowly. To be honest i felt quite guilty giving this tiny baby food but she managed the purees well. At first she sat in her bouncy chair as her head control was ok but not brilliant. Now she sits in her high chair quite the thing and loves to make loadsa mess. :)

Ignore corrected age for this - the only thing the corrected age is useful for is tracking development. Everything else is actual age. Most seem to be starting to wean their preemies starting after 5 months actual age x

My son is 7 months old, and we've just recently started solids. I'm going to continue breastfeeding him for as long as he wants, but he's been so interested in my food lately, I had to give in.

His first Pedi had suggested we begin rice cereal at 2 months old! Which was insane, because he couldn't even hold his head up properly yet!

That's crazy. Right now my plan is 5 - 7 months old, but she's already showing interest so.....

My son is 5 months old and today we were told we could wean him when we feel he's ready, we started letting him taste bits of boiled carrot and cucumber and stuff but he hasn't actually eaten any food other than milk yet. We're trying to wait as close to 6 months as possible but I think it depends on the baby really.

I had my lo at 33 + 4 and she was soooooo hungry at 4 months we had to start giving her baby porridge once a day
She is still struggling a little bit on solids (at a year old) with her gag reflex but she is doing absoutely fine
Good Luck x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->