What age would you allow your child a mobile phone?

mum22ttc#3

Mum of 3
Reaction score
As the title says really?

DD1 is 8 at the moment so Im defiently not thinking about it for the near future. Just wanted to see what others think and when you think is an acceptable age?

Personally I was thinking the year she starts secondary, as in the christmas before. I have had others say that she should be allowed one before this though.

I personally started wanting/needing one around 12/13 when I started Jr.High. I was walking home alone a lot because of our school times, 12/13 seems acceptable. I see a lot of people with 7-8 year olds with a cell phone and just shake my head. Certainly wouldn't get my elementary school student have one.

Thanks, thats why I was thinking 11 really, she will be starting secondary school that year so will have a bus journey of either 15-45 minutes depending on which school she goes to.

I'm assuming she will also start wanting to go to friends houses that bit more and as they may not be just round the corner I think there will defiantly be a need for her to have a phone, it would make me feel that bit more comfortable I think if nothing else.

I suppose I really just wanted to make sure I wasn't being to harsh or anything in not allowing her to have one now.

:flower:

kyle got one for his 12th birthday. the majority of his class had phones from the age of 8 for their Communion. he got a normal cheapish one, nothing special ie I-phone. last year for his birthday he upgraded it to a more flashy one. he wanted an I-phone but when he priced them he nearly had a heart attack. he thought we were making up the prices lol.

kyle got one for his 12th birthday. the majority of his class had phones from the age of 8 for their Communion. he got a normal cheapish one, nothing special ie I-phone. last year for his birthday he upgraded it to a more flashy one. he wanted an I-phone but when he priced them he nearly had a heart attack. he thought we were making up the prices lol.

lol @ thinking up you were making up the prices.

Dan got a pay as you go mobile when he was 9 and a contract one this year he is 13 :)

12/13. my best mate got her 9 year old one last year when she was 8 and shes getting a contract one for xmas. i think she's insane. wtf does a 9 year old need with a mobile phone??

my step son has just recently had one as he has started comprehensive school. he turned 11 in july x

I'll be getting my DD1 one when she heads off to senior school (actually, the Christmas before), BUT I'm seriously considering getting her a 'cheap' one to take to school and a 'nice' one for all other times....... Only because round here there seems to be a lot of school kids getting their phones stolen on the way to/from school!

12/13. my best mate got her 9 year old one last year when she was 8 and shes getting a contract one for xmas. i think she's insane. wtf does a 9 year old need with a mobile phone??

Dan had one at 9 it was needed as he had a lot of friends that lived quite a bit from our house, so I used it to keep in touch and make sure he was alright :thumbup:

My dd1 got her's for her 10th birthday in July this year. She hasnt even used £10 credit yet bless her so its good she isnt abusing it.
Mainly she will text a few school mates and her dad uses it to call her (brilliant means I dont have him calling me!) But then she doesnt go out on her own around the village so has no need to call me in an emergency either.
Her phone is only a cheapy from argos (think it was about £25 with £10 free credit) wouldn't think of buying her something better until she is older.

I know of kids dd1's age who get through £50 credit a month :shock: that's crazy!

Could be like my little brother, he's about to be 15 in 10 days and he's getting a cell phone. He has had one before but never kept it on, or forgot it in places, so it didn't really matter anyway.

hi everyone for me it would be alright to give them a phone at 12 yrs of age :)

I agree once they start secOndary school, I have 13 & 10 yr old step daughters. The older one got bought pho e for her 11th birthday (which I disagree with) as now the 10 yr old is expecting one for her 11th birthday!! Although she has accepted that she does t need one but still causes issue.

I did t get phone til I was 18 and I had 1 1/2 hour bus journey to school I survived without phone!!!

I know i am nowhere near this stage yet but i would of thought at the start of secondary school. Before this age i wouldn't be letting DS out somewhere where i couldn't get hold of him if needed, or vice versa.

My sons are 8 and almost 7 and they both have mobiles, mainly so I can keep in touch with them when they are out or if they need to get in touch with me in an emergency. Youngest onyl really got one cos oldest had one and of course it wasn't fair haha! TBH, over the winter when they have not been out the phones haven;t been touched and I can't tell you the last time they had charge in them lol...plus they are only £20 phones so not expensive :) x

At around 13 or 14 I'll probably end up getting them a cheap pay as you go phone with a limited monthly amount of cash I'm willing to put into it. If they want to save their own money for extra time/texts/whatever they're more than welcome. Anything other than that I view as really not necessary and if they want something fancier or with a contract they're welcome to get one when they have a job and can pay for it.

I will be getting my daughters one on their 11th birthdays just before they start secondary school, I want them to be able to contact me and vice versa when needed and that will be the age they will start walking to school alone and i imagine spending more time out and about with their friends.
I want them to have one just as much as i imagine they will want one. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->