What bread & butter??

Arlandria

Love being Mrs.C xx
Reaction score
I've just started giving Livvy some toast in the morning but i never actually thought about whether its ok to give it her?!?!?

We use wholemeal or oatbran bread & Olive spread and i assued these would be ok but just wanna check??

She is 61/2 mths - thanks XXX :coffee:

I give her Warburtons wholemeal and I can't remember what butter, but it's something like Clover..

I think as long as it's not a low fat / diet one then it's fine.

I give Ruby wholemeal bread from our local bakers, Cranks, or my homemade bread. I put flora buttery on it.

Ellis has wholemeal bread and unsalted butter, Lurpack spreadable at the moment!! We only eat brown bread, pasta etc.

We use whatever we can find with the lowest salt content at the supermarket! Or home made and I don't add salt. We usually use unsalted butter too x

We use 50/50 bread, mainly because OH won't eat wholemeal, and Flora No Salt butter.
Now she's a bit older I tend to use flora buttery as she prefers the taste.

See, this confuses me, as at our parenting course they told us baby needed white bread and full-fat butter, but surely they contain more salt?!

Full fat butter for the calories.

Wholemeal bread may be too high in fibre. But unless you are feeding a lot of other high fibre foods a bit of toast in the morning is not going to cause harm.

Krissy, salt in homemade bread is to stop yeast action so your bread doesn't over rise and go all floamfy, does it still turn out the same as if you use salt? I've never done it without.

ETA

Low-fat, low-calorie and high-fibre
It isn’t advisable to give ‘low-fat’, ‘low-calorie’ or ‘high-fibre’ foods to babies (also see the advice in Drinks). Babies have small tummies, but are growing fast. They need foods that provide lots of calories and nutrients in a small amount of food, rather than bulky high-fibre foods.

Fat gives them energy and provides some vitamins that are only found in fat. So choose full-fat dairy foods.

Don’t give your baby high-fibre versions of foods, especially those with added bran. It stops babies from absorbing important minerals such as calcium and iron. It’s better not to give your baby brown rice, wholemeal pasta or bran-enriched breakfast cereals until they are older, although you can give some brown bread.

from here https://www.eatwell.gov.uk/agesandstages/baby/weaning/

unsalted full fat butter is supposed to be the best but not too sure on bread types to be honest.x

Full fat butter for the calories.

Wholemeal bread may be too high in fibre. But unless you are feeding a lot of other high fibre foods a bit of toast in the morning is not going to cause harm.

Krissy, salt in homemade bread is to stop yeast action so your bread doesn't over rise and go all floamfy, does it still turn out the same as if you use salt? I've never done it without.

ETA

Low-fat, low-calorie and high-fibre
It isn’t advisable to give ‘low-fat’, ‘low-calorie’ or ‘high-fibre’ foods to babies (also see the advice in Drinks). Babies have small tummies, but are growing fast. They need foods that provide lots of calories and nutrients in a small amount of food, rather than bulky high-fibre foods.

Fat gives them energy and provides some vitamins that are only found in fat. So choose full-fat dairy foods.

Don’t give your baby high-fibre versions of foods, especially those with added bran. It stops babies from absorbing important minerals such as calcium and iron. It’s better not to give your baby brown rice, wholemeal pasta or bran-enriched breakfast cereals until they are older, although you can give some brown bread.

from here https://www.eatwell.gov.uk/agesandstages/baby/weaning/

Aah so that's why, thanks for that! We're going to end up with 3 different types of bread in our house at this rate :haha:

Nah, just give her what bread you have. A bit of toast is not going to cause any harm!

It's more fortified foods you have to avoid.

Yeah I wondered this. My home made bread is not up to much anyway...I've never left out the salt.

Yeah I wondered this. My home made bread is not up to much anyway...I've never left out the salt.

Mine is a hit or a miss usually. Think I will try and make some without and see how it goes.

i just give ern whatever bread we happen to have in at the time! I dont buy the cheap bread anyway usually roberts (which is local to us), hovis, or fresh baked instore

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->