what can I do to speed up labor??

Melisa1985

Reaction score
I have had a tough pregnancy & this last month is even worse. what are some healthy normal things to do to speed up labor?? I do not wanna go past my due date. what have u been doing??

Sorry to say, you can't but trying might take your mind off the final stretch! I tried everything except the more extreme methods with my first and I have plenty of friends who tried those too. Hope,your baby decides he/she is ready soon for you! :)

Keeping active can definitely help IMHO, I believe I went so overdue with my second eldest because I was being really lazy and sedentary for the final few weeks, there is a lot to be said for the power of gravity and it helping your baby to get into a good position for labour as well. My other three were either born on time or early :D xx

I started red raspberry leaf tea (one tea bag = 1500mg/day) at 32 weeks, increased to 2 tea bags at 34 weeks and 3 tea bags at 36wks.

I was 1cm dilated at 35 weeks, 1.5 cm at 36 weeks and 2cm at 37 weeks. This is my first pregnancy. I have no idea if it all would have been the same if I hadn't started the red raspberry leaf tea, but I get braxton hicks right after drinking it and those contractions are probably contributing to the dilation.

I sit on an exercise ball at my computer desk to help open up my hips. I've been carrying low since 28 weeks and she just keeps going lower and lower.

I haven't really had painful contractions at all yet. 14 days left does not seem like a long time at all. I'd hate to go overdue.

agree on the keeping active, the day my waters broke with my last pregnancy I took my dog for a long walk in the snow! xx

I have read on these forums that keeping active helps - to bring on labour but also to keep labour progressing well.

Personally I can't say as my first labour started at 38 weeks and as placenta was in wrong place we had been praying for it not to start before my section and it did. I was very active that day though so maybe that didn't help?

Second pregnancy - tried staying active, tea, sex, curry, pineapple but cervix still posterior and shut tight at 41+1 !

Keeping active would be nice...if I could stand for more than 10 minutes at a time. I try to go for a walk just up and down the block. I go up one side of my street and back down the other, and I'm in terrible pain by the time I get back to my house - both in my belly and my ribs/shoulder blade. I've been confined to the couch for nearly 2 months when my pains in my ribs act up. Dunno how this will affect my labor/going into labor.

the only thing I have heard that really helps is walking.

I would be doing it but I have SPD so it's out of the question, if you can then I would go for it.

Also a lot of people recommend DTD!! If you or partner can face it x

Thank u ladies!! that really gives me some ideas.
walking i cant do much bc my feet are killing me even if i walk 5 min but i still force myself and try to walk more than my body can take. im praying this baby decides to make an entrance into this world soon, my anxiety and panick attacks are pretty severe & im not allowed to take anything right now. I was
also thinking about asking my doctor for induction soon but not sure how safe inductions are??

I'd love to go into labour before my section on
Wednesday but I can't be too active, my feet are
Balloons and my back is horrendous. even washing the dishes takes forever as I have to sit down in between.
I've tried curry, pineapple, cinnamon etc but tbh all
It's done is upset my tummy :(

Had my birth plan meeting with my midwife on Thursday and she gave me a few tips...

- Eat a whole pineapple a day including the core - after 7 days, you may have a sore tongue but it should start your contractions.

- Eat a bag (8) kiwi fruits a day - same as above.

- Walk a lot - like 2 hours a day.

- Bounce on the exercise ball while rotating your hips.

- Try not to lie down too often.

- Finally... I won't be doing this one, I don't think I've ever find the time! Have sex - 4 times a day! I had to ask if she meant a week but she didn't!! We didn't even do it 4 times a day before being pregnant!

I'm going to start the Pineapple, Kiwi, bouncing on ball and walking next week!

I tried everything with my first... Nothing. I was induced at 41 1/2. I worked full time in a physical therapy clinic right up until my induction, so I was very active and on my feet all day and that didn't matter for me either. I don't believe there's much that can def get labor going, but why not try? I won't be doing any of that this time around though, as it didn't work for me the first time. Good luck to you.
Btw, I saw your other thread about questions of being induced. I really hope that I don't have to be induced again. It is absolutely your choice as to that matter, but it was a very long, hard labor. I would much rather wait it out til my body starts. That's just me though, and I guess it's diff for everyone. I had to finally be induced due to low fluid in there. I'm def hoping that I don't have to go that route again.

Just to say, raspberry leaf tea does NOT bring on labour. It's a uterine tonic. It is supposed to make contractions more effective.

Keeping active, resting well, eating and drinking well are all good. Babies come when they're ready. Inductions shouldn't be routine, as they carry risks to both you and baby. So, that needs to be researched and weighed up when deciding if an induction is recommended. I'd prepare myself for another 4+ weeks and see if baby surprises you. ;) Try to enjoy the last of this special time.

I tried everything with my first... Nothing. I was induced at 41 1/2. I worked full time in a physical therapy clinic right up until my induction, so I was very active and on my feet all day and that didn't matter for me either. I don't believe there's much that can def get labor going, but why not try? I won't be doing any of that this time around though, as it didn't work for me the first time. Good luck to you.
Btw, I saw your other thread about questions of being induced. I really hope that I don't have to be induced again. It is absolutely your choice as to that matter, but it was a very long, hard labor. I would much rather wait it out til my body starts. That's just me though, and I guess it's diff for everyone. I had to finally be induced due to low fluid in there. I'm def hoping that I don't have to go that route again.

how many hours did the labor take with the induction for u?? is it usually a slower process??

how many hours did the labor take with the induction for u?? is it usually a slower process??
It ws a little over 24 hrs. My epidural didn't work, placement wasn't good and I was only numb from thighs and lower. The contractions on pitocin were horrible! It was more pain than I ever could've imagined. Anyhow, it's kinda a long story, don't know how much you really want to know. Inductions are typically longer, but I think many factors can affect it. If you are dialated at all, and if you are having contractions, then pitocin can put you full into labor. If you dont have any of this, sometimes inductions are unsuccessful. I had a friend who was induced at 40 wks bang on and she was in hospital for 2 days and then sent home as it was not successful. So I think there are many factors to take into consideration. And again, each experience is diff. I just would never personally opt for an induction, much rather let Mother Nature work.

I don't want to discourage you Hun. You know me, I'll tell you how things are,well at least how they were for me, that's all. Just adding my input. Again don't want to discourage you, just wanted to let you know that inductions aren't 100%... They often lead to c section. You know you can always PM with any specific questions or whatever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->