What can I do !!

Bumblebee24

Mummy July 2014 Rainbow
Reaction score
Ok so I know am expecting a little too much but my baby is a dream for the majority of the time. waking for feed every 3-4 hours but at about 9pm/10pm till 1.00am she cries none stop. She's been feed, changed hugged & she just won't settle. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. As me & my partner where at our whits end last night

Sounds like you have a colicky baby. Have a search online about it. They usually grow out if it but 3/4 months but there are little things you can do to help. I used Infacol with my LO to but others use gripe water or colief/dent inbox drops. Warm baths and tummy massage also help. It will end just hang in there xxx

As the pp said - sounds like classic colic behaviour. I also have a colicky baby - but she tends to fuss for much of the day with a peak in the evening. Dentinox and infacol are not actually scientifically proven to help colic, but there are things which do.

Firstly - if you're breastfeeding you can try drinking fennel. Fennel is proven in 2 studies to reduce crying in colicky babies. I actually give my baby a bit of fennel tea in her expressed milk.....that's a choice i made, and she is a lot better as a result.

Secondly - as pp said, colic does them no lasting harm (although it can drive parents a bit mad!) and they grow out of it usually before 3 months.

Other stuff which is good. Bouncing them is a great way to calm them usually, so if you have a gym ball you can hold them and bounce/rock them to sleep easily on there. I've heard good reports of people using an electric baby swing...but they can be expensive.

White noise is good to calm them, when the baby is crying you can either 'shhhh' in their ear continuosly till they stop or you can download a white noise app to your phone and play that to them.

Basically all these tactics are recreating the womb environment here they were gently bounced about and where they heard a loud hite noise continously. Look up Dr Harvey Karps 'happiest baby on the block' CD and book for more info!

Good luck, I know ho hard it is. If you are at your wits end don't feel bad about using some ear plugs - they will help you to keep calm and capable x

Aw Hun I feel your pain, my dd was like that, she was a colicky baby. I used infacol for her and it helped the crying go for less time, but it still happened most nights til around 10-12 weeks. In the end I think what helped me was just accepting that it happened and she was ok and it wasn't harming her. It was just something that I couldn't take away and that's the hardest part. I remember spending lots of evenings holding her whilst she was crying or rocking her in her basket with subtitles on the tv.

I found this to be really helpful.

https://www.askdrsears.com/topics/h...hats-colic-does-your-baby-have-colic-how-tell

Basically, the bottom line is that colic is caused by pain that isn't easily soothed by pretty much anything, but often times babies aren't in pain, they just need to be held and be close to you. If after feeding at 9/10pm, you sat in a rocking chair with baby on your chest and rocked, would she still cry until 1am?

If the answer is yes, I'd look into seeing if you can find ways to eliminate the discomfort (we found gripe water worked well for reflux and for constipation and many people use it for colic). If holding baby on your chest and rocking for 4 hours means she stops crying and sleeps, then I would say it's just normal and not colic. I think there can be an expectation that all babies just sleep happily on their own from birth, but most don't and it can lead you to worry something is 'wrong' rather than just 'normal'. If rocking her in a moses basket to try to settle her isn't working even though she's fed, clean, etc., then find other ways and see if they work. If they do, you just have to find a way to do them until this period passes and it all gets easier. It doesn't seem like it will and right now it feels like nothing will every feel manageable, but it will! I promise!

For us what worked is using a wrap, co-sleeping and just taking shifts during the night comforting our daughter. It seems overwhelming, but if you think of the first 8 weeks of baby's life as a time when you have to do anything that works so you can cope, it makes it seem more temporary and more manageable. We put our daughter in a wrap in the early evenings, from roughly 7pm until her next feed, and I went upstairs and slept. My husband would bring her up for a feed at around 10ish when she woke up and would often put her back in the wrap until her next feed around 1am. He watched a lot of films those first few weeks! It meant I got some sleep, so that after about 1am, I could take over. We co-slept, and often I just sat in the rocking chair or bed (awake) with her sleeping on my chest. I didn't get much sleep the second half of the night but because I got about 4 hours earlier in the evening, it was doable. This sounds intense, but I can't stress how temporary it is. It won't last forever. She actually started to occasionally STTN without a feed a few nights from about 8 weeks and even when she didn't (which was most of the time), she would wake, have a feed, and go back to sleep. I would get full nights of (interrupted) sleep, but didn't need to be awake for any length of time. It really doesn't last forever! Do what you need to do now. Sleep during the day. Forget Facebook (or BnB). Forget doing the dishes or having visitors over. Sleep. Go to bed in the early evening when she does so you can get a couple good hours of sleep before she wakes at 9-10pm. You'll have a life back in the evenings in a few more weeks. You'll be able to make dinner and clean and even drink a glass of wine and relax. But the period from birth to 6-8 weeks is intense. Make just functioning a priority. Everything else can wait. Life really will feel more normal again soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->