What causes baby to fuss/cry/move around while latched?

newlywedtzh

A Mom At Last!
Reaction score
Sometimes she cries or it seriously seems like she "gets mad" while nursing. At other times she'll start to kick her legs and move her arms and kind of pull off the nipple but seems content. My nipples are still sore and we're still getting the hang of the bfing thing and working on our latch so I get so nervous when she starts to pull away bc OW!

Do you know what would cause her to act like this? I think I might have a strong letdown bc she does choke sometimes (although I don't know if thats bc she falls asleep and milk is still flowing into her mouth).

A forceful let-down definitely can cause behaviour like this - my daughter does exactly the same thing and when she pulls off, milk is flying out like from a pressure hose!

Forceful letdown, not enough milk coming out and they get frustrated, or gas/poop coming/needs to burp.

My little boy has had bouts of this, mainly when cluster feeding during growth spurts, is it a newish thing as there is a growth spurt around 3 weeks?

I sometimes feel like he does it when he wants the comfort of the boob but not the actual milk, like when he's really tired but is struggling to sleep?

The other ladies have given lots if great suggestions too, it's a minefield isn't it!

Congrats on your baby girl :cloud9:

Agree with jenkins - my baby will also do this when she wants to comfort nurse or fall asleep, but gets a mouthful of milk instead. Also if I try to feed her when she isn't hungry - she will latch, almost like it's a reflex when presented with a nipple, but she'll soon come off again.

Watch your flow when the baby pulls off - if it's spraying or dripping really fast then your baby is probably struggling to cope with the fast flow as she's still tiny. You can take her off the breast and wait for it to subside before continuing.

If this doesn't seem to be the case, then you could try putting a clean little finger in her mouth, slightly curled upwards against her palate. She will suck quite ferociously on this and if it's comfort she wants, she will probably fall asleep quite quickly. If she screams the place down, she's probably hungry and angry that her efforts are not yielding results from your finger!

And if she just doesn't seem interested in eating, don't try to get her to carry on - just try again in a little while.

Hope something here helps! It is really confusing but it does get much easier. :)

My Lactation consultant says that fussing at the breast is the baby's way of telling your pituitary gland to make more milk. So it is a natural and good thing that builds your supply.

I agree that it sounds like an over active letdown. Mine both struggled with my let down in the early days. DS2 now either controls the flow himself, or, if he can't be bothered, unlatches and moves away so that I spray over whatever is near me. Very embarrassing when I'm out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->