What choice do I make?

AllyTiel

Reaction score
What is more risky? Being induced at 6 days overdue when you possibly aren't ready (I get concerned hearing about higher rate of c-section with induction, or baby can't tolerate the pitocin contractions well), or trying to wait 8 days over (hoping the couple extra days are enough to go into labor myself) and have higher risk for meconium aspiration? My daughter was 8 days late and there was meconium, though she didn't breath it in. At my 40 week appt on Thursday she said I was 1-2cm dilated and 50% effaced. This is a hard decision :(

I was two weeks over due with dd1 and got induced. Labor went well and baby was perfectly healthy. Labor was only about 12 hours from induction to birth. If you are already dilating id say try all the recommended methods of bringing on labor, sex , bouncing, teas, etc.

Agree with pp. You sound like your on your way so I would try sex, bouncing, walking, staying very active and go for the extra two days BUT I also think this is a decision I'd talk to my ob about. Meconium aspiration/staining could happen at any time. I'd check with doc to hear a professional opinion and the risks. My ds#1 was meconium stained (lucky did not breathe it in) and he was born naturally at 37 weeks. Doc thought it was just from stress during labor but his heart rate always seemed fine. It can be a difficult decision. My ds#2 was induced at 38 weeks and I was about 2cm dilated and 100% effaced so only used the pitocin drip to speed up contractions. Epi then slowed down contractions so it was a long labor but baby was fine and had no meconium. Best of luck on your decision, sorry I can't be of more help.

I was induced at 39+2, I was no where near ready for labor. My water finally broke on its own at 39+4 and they noticed the meconium in the water so they told me they would have the NICU staff on standby if she didn't breathe in her own right away. Well after 50+ hours of labor she wasn't coming down so I elected for a c section and she started screaming right away on her own. If I had the choice I would have waited as long as I could before having them induce me. I really wanted to experience a vaginal birth. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->