What do you put in your child's packed lunch for school?

Kandl123

Family of 3, soon to be 4
Reaction score
my dd starts full time tomorrow. Most of the time she will be having school dinners. But she's a very fussy eater. And on some days I will be sending her with a packed lunch. But I've no idea what to put in it. Schools are so funny now with what's in them aren't they.
So sandwiches and what else? Are they allowed fruit shoots/crisps? Or not. I'm clueless

My lo was at preschool for a year and literally just gone to proper school. His lunch box is usually:

Bread and butter/ham or cheese sandwich
Crisps
Cheese stick or squeezy yoghurt
Fruit/vegetables of some sort
Squash

I've never had complaints from preschool about it and he's a fussy eater too so to begin with I struggled to get him to eat but over the year it picked up

I tend to go for things like baked snacks, mini chedders etc instead of crisps (they moan about crisps here!)

So of he has a packed lunch it's usually sandwich, mini chedders or ritz crackers and cheese, occasionally some meat like chicken or ham, yogurt, fruit/veggies, and I sneak in a biscuit!!

Mine make their own nowadays, but it's always basically these:

A sandwich (cheese or ham)
Drink (water bottle filled with plain water or diluting juice)
Piece of fruit/tub of cherry tomatoes/cucumber/carrot sticks
Cereal bar/bag of mini biscuits/crackers or similar, or a yogurt.

It sort of depends what we've got in. Occasionally instead of the sandwich they might take a tub with leftover pasta and salad in it.

My DS's school don't allow chocolate and drinks like fruit shoots/squash aren't allowed. His packed lunch would normally be:
Sandwich (generally ham salad)
Crisps (once or twice a week)/breadsticks/chrackers
Piece of fruit or vegetable (carrot or cucumber sticks)
Yogurt
2 biscuits/a fairy cake/an extra piece of fruit

Daisy has cheese sandwiches, a portion of fruit, a babybel, a sweet treat like a Barney Bear cake and a yoghurt. She either has water or a fruit smoothie to drink.

Thank you for all your replies everyone.. Shes having a packed lunch tomorrow.. I've decided on;
Cheese sandwiches
Banana
Yoghurt
& a lunchbox size malt loaf
With a bottle of squash :)

Lucas can be really fussy but I try to change his lunch often so he doesn't get stuck in a food habit.

He has a "main" which will usually be:
Ham sandwich
Ham wraps (rolled thin and cut into bitesize pieces)
Cocktail sausages
Meatballs
Plain nigiri sushi
Mini sausage rolls

Then a piece of fruit (because he never willingly eats vegetables) either:
Apple
Cut grapes
Banana
Strawberries

Dairy:
Grated cheese
Yogurt
Cheese triangle/other kids cheesy product

Treat:
Biscuit bar
Crisps
Ritz crackers
Graze box snack
Banana bread

Tomorrow's lunch is ham and mayonnaise wrap bites, apple, cheesy breadsticks from his Graze box and a yogurt. Drink is always a carton of flavoured spring water.

Ours is very limited, DS doesn't eat fruits or raw veggies. He takes a cheese sandwich, plain biscuits & popcorn. He doesn't eat them all. This is the 1st year he eats something at school

Every day they get yogurt and rasins.

Monday, wednesday and friday they get a chicken or ham sandwich or wrap, 2 crackers or 3 cheddar biscuits and then a tub of things like grapes, carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes, apple, banana.

Tuesdays and thursdays they get things like rice, chicken and veg. Pasta in a little bit of sauce, cheese and veg. Pitta bread with humous, bread sticks, a few slices of meat, carrots and cucumber.

I typically pack:
Sandwich
Yogurt
Fruit cup, applesauce, or sliced grapes
cheese stick
crackers
drink

Today Paige had...

Tortilla wrap with Ham on it
Mini pepperami
Bag of chedds cheese
Grapes
2 belvita chocokaye biscuits
Innocent smoothie.

The only thing she had eaten was the grapes!

Usual things I put in are..

Sandwiches or rolls.
Some sort of fruit or veg (raisins, apples, grapes, cucumber and carrot sticks are favs of theirs)
Sausage rolls/mini sausages/cheese stick (just one depending on what we have or what they want)
Fruit smoothie
Yoghurt
Then a little 'treat' like a small bag of mini cookies, mini chedders etc

Occasionally I'll go for cold pasta instead of a sandwich if we've got anything like tuna pasta left over.

Tuesday I sent in mini corn dog muffins for lunch as the main.
Wednesday I cut a piece of bread into squares and cheese into squares as well. I put the bread on a toothpick, followed by a small rolled up piece of ham, followed by cheese. I did around 8 of those haha. On 6 more tooth picks I put a chunk of cucumber and a cherry tomato on it. First time I've done it and she really loved it!
Today I put pumpkin pancakes in with a bit of cream cheese in the middle.
And for tomorrow my husband is making (cooked) shrimp sushi rolls with cucumber and avocado.

I always include 2 items of fruit (usually one bigger fruit like a cut up pear, peach, apple, banana) and a small container of strawberries, blueberries, grapes etc.

And I try to include a "treat" item. This week it's been homemade granola bars bar one day when I sent in a homemade pumpkin donut.

I make a lot of stuff ahead of time and freeze it so I can just reheat and throw in her box. :)

I'm trying really hard this year to make her lunches more interesting. She's a good eater but she likes to talk during her lunch time. It helps to have variety I've found as she eats better.

Just packed my little boys

He has got a ham and cheese sandwich ( he likes the thins instead of bread)
A packet of yogurt coated raisins
A packet of mini chedders
And a tub of Mixed grapes and blueberries
Juice

Other days he has cheese cubes, mini scotch eggs, baby bells, yogurts, cheese straws, a cereal bar sometimes but never biscuits, chocolate or crisps.
The click tubs are great and my boy loves them - I always put a different fruit in..

Fin has a sandwich, fruit, yoghurt, jelly and a fruit yo yo. I put crisps in too but he doesn't eat them

Today Joel had a cheese and spinach sandwich between those wholemeal thin things (was meant to be tuna but I woke up too late) a babybel, a smoothie, a yoghurt, and a fruit & veg pot (carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes, blueberries). He should be getting hot school meals from next week though, although I'm worried as he's a lot pickier with hot food than packed lunches. We'll see how it goes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->