What does your Midwife check 36wks plus?

tracyy

Reaction score
Hiya, just wondering when the midwife starts to check you to see if your dilated or if things are starting to progress towards labour. I'm nearly 37 weeks, so far I only have a dip test on urine, listen to heartbeat and blood pressure checked. They don't check the position or anything. Just wondering if this is normal. My other two children are 12 and 8 and things have changed so much since having them lol!

Hi! This is all completely normal. I just had my 36wk 4day check up and that is all they did along with a strep b swab that they can do btw 36 and 37 weeks. They arent concerned with positioning because they told me that baby can turn last minute or flip even if one week baby is head down. So they wont even bother. At 38 weeks is when they start checking for dilation. They usually dont check earlier then that unless your high risk. Really stinks because your probably like me curious to know where you and your baby stand :) Hang in there we are so close to holding our babies! Everyone keeps telling me to enjoy the last few weeks of sleep and relaxing even if we are uncomfortable and if its hard to sleep (i know it is for me). Our lifes are going to be so busy once they arrive!! :)

I am going for my 36 week app next week, midwife said she is going to take bloods to check for anemia. My previous appointment she checked the babies position and marked down in my notes how much of the head she could feel.

If you're in the uk you won't be checked for dilatation especially. You will be offered a sweep and if you want one then she will tell you if you're dilated or not, this would only happen after 40 weeks, some midwives do this before 40 weeks but the guidelines are, and most adhere to the 40 week timeframe. Bloods aren't routinely taken at 36 weeks for hb levels unless your iron was slightly low at 28 weeks. The usual appointments are normally what happens until you are offered a sweep :) hth xx

My iron levels have always been fine so I'm not sure why they are checking them at my next app?

If you're in the uk she'll check bp an your urine for protein. Then she'll probably feel babies position as she'll need to know if its head down by now and if its engaged and she'll listen to the heartbeat. They won't check if you're dilated though as this is not a standard procedure done here just to preven infections or irritation of the uterus.

I'm in the UK and they have checked babies position at every appointment from 24 weeks onwards. Not because they aren't expecting him/her to move about, but I thought that was just routine?

My iron levels have always been fine so I'm not sure why they are checking them at my next app?

In some areas they do an extra HB check at 34 or 36 weeks especially if its your first pregnancy. If you're not happy with this though you have every right to refuse xx

Does anyone know if when you're offered a sweep if you go over due you have to or not? I was never offered last time but I have big age gap like OP 13 and 14 years had them both naturally at 41 weeks. I don't fancy a sweep, eeek!! x

You don't have to agree to a sweep like any other procedure in this country-it's entirely your choice (and same goes for any blood test or scans). Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->