what is a birth plan ... and do you actually get to do it ?

o0Squeaks0o

Mum of a DD and expecting
Reaction score
sorry this is such a daft question :blush:

but i keep seeing on threads to pack your birth plan in your hospital bag. so what exactly is a birth plan ? and im curious if it is like your dream labour and delivery wants, do the hospitals even take your birth plan into consideration ?

xx

My hospital actually gives birth plans to fill out to moms and asks them to go over them with their Dr, then the Dr and the mom sign off on it. Though its more birth preferences than a "plan". But they do take your wishes into account. Keep in kind that I'm in the US though.

Funny, I just talked to my doctor about this at my appointment a couple of days ago. He said they are fine to have, but to be aware that things can and do change when you get into the hospital. He said some requests are easily accommodated, but other times medical intervention is necessary.

I plan on having one, but I'm also going into it knowing that it may change.

I'm not bothering as I'll only be more disappointed when it doesn't go how I planned!! It can be about pain meds, injection to deliver placenta, vit k for baby, skin to skin straight away, or baby cleaned and towel wrapped, delayed cord clamping, anything like that really. After dreaming of a natural water birth that turned into early c section at 34 weeks, I've learnt just to go with what happens x

I asked my Dr if I need one, he laughed and said there is no such thing. Women have preferences during labor, but nothing ever goes as planned. I love my OB so much and trust he will make the right decisions for me. I already know I want an epidural so thats all he needs to know :)

^^^Thats why I did the preferences thing. Plus DH and my mom (my support people during labor) know what I want as long as things progress normally. So I'm comfortable with it. And I know that things can change, I'm ok with that if it happens. But I would prefer certain things if I can.

i just can't see my hospital taking much notice of what id 'like' so i think the preference idea is a good one and I'll tell OH and MIL what they are. i think I'll be sitting down discussing these ideas with OH and first such as him and Zach having skin to skin and that i don't want pethadine at all as a pain relief. maybe I'll write them a list lol.

i never did one with DD i just went with the flow as i was induced. im going to be induced again this time round too so most likely will end up being told what to do again.

I had mine all ready to go but left it at home when the time came. I didn't even think about it when I labour and ended up having a ventouse delivery...obviously THAT wasn't my plan!

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I will have q birth plan, there's nothing wrong with having a idea on how you would like things to go.

Some things I want arnt the norm so I don't want the midwives to just go through the routines without thinking

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->