What IS and ISNT safe to give 9month old!

acherontia87

Mum to a boy and WTT
Reaction score
Please need advice, my 8/9 month old prefers finger foods to spoon feeding.

But I am so terrified and paranoid of choking that I limit foods ALOT!
So plzzzzzzzz can you tell me what finger foods I can give my baby (size, what and texture) ! He is 9 months on the 28th DEC, any advice would be appreciated. REally need advice x:thumbup:

There is no clear cut answer. :(

If you ask someone like me who intends pure BLW -- the only real restrictions would be no whole nuts, no honey, and nothing that there is a family history of allergies to. Other than that, just about anything is fair game. (Obviously you don't want to shove hot sauce down them... so fair game within reason).

Others introduce solids in different ways and would say no milk, eggs, honey, gluten, peanuts or nuts of any type, strawberries, anything with fish or shellfish... on and on.

If you are worried... start with steamed or roasted veggies cut into finger size pieces (adult finger). Fruits cut like that should be good, too. Cheese and toast is another good one (but not too much bread in one day due to salt content).

Other than that, you will just have to do some research and decide what you feel comfortable with.

Things Amelie hasn't had - nuts, egg (shes had it in cakes but no egg on its own or uncooked egg), honey, um... shellfish.. that's about it. She doesn't really eat meat as a finger food although she had a chicken and sweetcorn sandwich yday which she loved.

You can start finger foods at 7 months so he should be fine :hugs: Just keep a close eye on him when he's eating at the start and when he's more 'established' LOL you can relax a little. It's great now because I do the dishes and tidy the kitchen when amelie is eating :)

Also, milk is fine as an addition to food (like in cereal) for a 9 month old. It's not to replace BM or formula until over 1 year old. Amelie has also had strawberries since she was about 6 months old :shrug: Not sure why theyre not recommended?

There is no clear cut answer. :(

If you ask someone like me who intends pure BLW -- the only real restrictions would be no whole nuts, no honey, and nothing that there is a family history of allergies to. Other than that, just about anything is fair game. (Obviously you don't want to shove hot sauce down them... so fair game within reason).

Others introduce solids in different ways and would say no milk, eggs, honey, gluten, peanuts or nuts of any type, strawberries, anything with fish or shellfish... on and on.

If you are worried... start with steamed or roasted veggies cut into finger size pieces (adult finger). Fruits cut like that should be good, too. Cheese and toast is another good one (but not too much bread in one day due to salt content).

Other than that, you will just have to do some research and decide what you feel comfortable with.

Completely agree. It depends on your approach to weaning and what you feel comfortable with.

If you mean 'safe' in regards to choking hazards, then the only things that are not allowed are whole nuts and grapes (but grapes cut in half are fine).

If you mean 'safe' in regards to allergies then don't offer anything that there's a history of in your family and avoid nuts until 1yr.

If you mean 'safe' in regards to LO becoming ill, then honey should be avoided until 1yr and eggs are fine as long as they're cooked thoroughly. Raw eggs are a no.

Cows milk is fine to use for cereal or as part of cooking, but as Blah said, not to replace their current milk.

Strawberries are not encouraged due to the common alergies/reactions that LO's have.

you will get a lot of gagging if your lo isnt used to finger foods. when we started blw dex gagged on anything but you have to trust their gag reflex. i've given dex everything except for nuts and raisons, honey and all the stuff that isnt considered safe. everytime he has something new he gags but I just have to trust he will be ok. dex is only 7 months and he eats everything whole with no purees.

i just read about strawberries but too late for me as dex already had them yesterday and today. oops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->