What is the difference between a low lying baby, low placenta, and placenta previa?

Eren

Reaction score
At my nine week apt I had my transvaginal ultrasound, and no one mentioned anything about anything being out of place or abnormal.

At 12 weeks I was in the ER for various reasons and they did an US to check on the baby and the tech said "you have a slightly retroverted uterus."

At 17 weeks I met with my new OB, who reviewed my first US picture and I told her about what the tech said at the ER. I was worried because I had read so much about the uterus becoming snagged and the baby getting lodged in the pelvic cavity!

She listened to the baby's HB and found it right above my pubic bone. She felt my uterus (internally and externally) and said everything was where it needed to be.

Shortly after the baby started kicking, very low kicks, above my pubic bone. Now at 21 weeks most of the kicks are low, above the pubic hairline or bone, but sometimes I get kicks up to my belly button. I can also feel her bunch up on one side, as it creates a little bit of pressure and I can physically feel her.

Yesterday (21 weeks) I had my OB apt and she listened to the HB and measured my uterus. Uterus is at my belly button. she said, "was she low last time we saw each other?" and I told her yes. She said she had no concerns and it was a good visit.

I have an apt with a high risk ultrasound tech on Thursday (I was diagnosed with Hashimotos mid pregnancy).

The doctor doesn't seem concerned, but these little phrases here and there make me worried something is wrong or abnormal. If I did have a low lying placenta or placenta previa would they have noticed it by now?

I wouldn’t worry too much, I think it’s normal for them to find the heart beat lower (that’s where they always find mine, and I’ve had some kicks up near my ribs!) They will get a good thorough look at your baby, uterus and placenta at your scan on Thursday, and hopefully it will give you some reassurance that all is well!

My baby has been low from the start. And when I say low, I mean, he has his butt cheeks lodged in my cervix. I had sorta real contractions, went to hospital. She said it was fine. My doctor has also always told me it was fine. They said I'm not very large so he just happens to be more comfortable there, but they said nothing wrong with that. Nothing is dilated, no work had started. He just puts an insane pressure down there. And obviously gives me what I like to call lighting in my vagina haha.

Now that he's grown bigger I feel the kicks and the head and foot in my ribs from time to time. But, there's been no concern about him being so freaking low!

Thank you.
I don't know what happened overnight, but I feel like I've expanded tremendously. I'm feeling movements all over, even more, not just at my pubic line. It's like she's doing cartwheels in there!
I'm hoping for a good appointment tomorrow!

Cartwheels is a good way to describe it! I often say baby is having a party in there!

How did your appt go today?

Even if you did have a low lying placenta they wouldn’t worry at this early stage. There is still plenty of time for things to move before it would become a concern, most low placentas at this stage will move out of the way by the time the pregnancy reaches full term. Good luck with everything :)

My appointment went well.
I was diagnosed with Hashimotos around 10 weeks and have been struggling to get my thyroid levels normal. The doctors were concerned about brain and growth.

However, she measured at exactly 21 weeks + 3 days, which is what I was. She weighs a pound and is in the 50th percentile. They are also checking growth because I am a petite girl and my first son was a 10 pound baby! They warned me that if she follows the rule that subsequent babies are bigger... they may warn me that a Csection is possible if necessary.

But all was good. My placenta is far away from my cervix. Baby is breech for now, they weren't worried about that. She did say the baby was laying around my bladder, and had a ton of space up top to stretch and move. So my placenta is up, baby is just comfy laying in the lower portions of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->