What is the perfect temp water to mix with formula?

P.Lily

Proud first time mummy
Reaction score
Hi, I have just switched from bf to ff and have looked at the guidelines of safe formula preparation-stating no less than 70degrees to ensure any bacteria is killed, but not to use just boiled water as it will diminish the nutritional content of the feed.

What is classed as the perfect temp? Lol. I bought a bottle thermometer so I can get it right!!!

Sorry, I meant to mix. I'm guessing between 70-80 to avoid diminishing nutrients?

70 degrees minimum they say but obviously not boiling water. However I use room temp warm in the microwave then add the powder and shake well x

I understand boiling the kettle and then using the water 20-30 mins later makes it the right temperature.

I also fill a flask so I have hot water for the next few bottles.

Just above 70C. So if you want to be exact about it, I'd just practice boiling your kettle and testing it to get an idea of how quickly your kettle in your house cools off. Honestly, I boil a small amount of water (which will cool faster than a full kettle) and leave it for about 10 minutes. That seems to work well. When I first switched from BF, I was more precise and tended to wait 25-30 minutes, but after awhile, that's kinda a pain in the behind. Using a flask (thermos) to keep boiled water hot though is also great, so you might want to try that as well. Honestly though, it doesn't have to be perfect. As long as it's recently boiled but not actually boiling hot, you should be fine. Many of recommendations I've read seem to say to boil the kettle and wait 'just a few minutes' for it to stop boiling and cool slightly so you don't burn yourself. I think that's the main reason you're told to let it cool a bit (not the diminishing of nutrients). Formula manufacturers just don't want to be sued by exhausted mums burning themselves in the middle of the night trying to make a bottle.

I take huge issue with the guidelines as they're just so unrealistic and I don't know a single person who has a thermometer to measure water temp! The idea is that the milk powder isn't sterile so water should be hot enough to kill bacteria but unless you use boiling water, I can't see that you're doing any more than giving any bacteria a nice warm bath!

I find the perfect temp is to add 2-3oz boiling water to cooled boiled water, mix the feed and then pop in a jug of cold water to cool for a couple of minutes. I'm sure though, that wouldn't stop any really determined bacteria and who the hell has the time to make a fresh feed each time?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->