what is wheat tolerance???

rachael22

Reaction score
if i have spelt it right? anyway went to the doctors 2day to have a ferritin check because my iron was low 3 months ago and been put on iron tabs for a month or 2 cant remember how long? anyway wen i went into have the bloods i sed to the nurse its only ferritin isnt it? she replied its for ferritin,FBC and a weird word something like TgH :wacko: anyway asked her what it was for and she explained its to do with wheat intoerance? the doc didnt mention anything like this 2 me when he asked for the bloods to be repeated now its got me thinking why am i being tested for this? could it be interlinked

and any of you ladies suffer with it please share your stories :flower:

thanks xx

Do you mean wheat intolerance? Because your iron count is still low i'm guessing they want to check you to see if you are intolerant to wheat as it can cause anaemia if you are. Do you have IBS, constipation or diarrhoea? If not i wouldn't have thought you would be wheat intolerant as it mostly causes diarrhoea/bloating etc but they're probably doing it just to be sure xx

Do you mean wheat intolerance? Because your iron count is still low i'm guessing they want to check you to see if you are intolerant to wheat as it can cause anaemia if you are. Do you have IBS, constipation or diarrhoea? If not i wouldn't have thought you would be wheat intolerant as it mostly causes diarrhoea/bloating etc but they're probably doing it just to be sure xx

hiya yea i meant wheat intolerance Lol..i was low on iron in september and havent had it re-checked untill 2day including the wheat intolerance test...i have had diarreah and constipation and alot of bloating when ive eaten but ive just been putting that down to my gallbladder as i had a hida scan and it showed it wasnt working :-/ i dont know wether my iron is still low untill i get my results back...nurse told me to ring wednesday bit quick for blood test dont u think? also is he taking a FBC to check heamaglobin levels? as he took a ferritin check too

thanks for your reply btw :flower: xx

I think if you have low haemoglobin that's how they find out you are anaemic. That is quite quick for the results to come back you must have a good doctors! A wheat intolerance will need attention straight away though so you will have to change your diet to foods without wheat. I know there's a section in most supermarkets with wheat free products which are great, they might refer you to a dietician if it comes back positive but hopefully it doesn't and you find out what's causing your anaemia! Do you eat loads of meat/green veggies? x

I think if you have low haemoglobin that's how they find out you are anaemic. That is quite quick for the results to come back you must have a good doctors! A wheat intolerance will need attention straight away though so you will have to change your diet to foods without wheat. I know there's a section in most supermarkets with wheat free products which are great, they might refer you to a dietician if it comes back positive but hopefully it doesn't and you find out what's causing your anaemia! Do you eat loads of meat/green veggies? x

i havent a clue whats cause low iron? i had my son a year ago and havent been re-checked on iron since and did lose quite alot of blood after the birth.. also i wasnt eating alot of veggies and meat but ever since i found out my iron is low i have up-ed my intake and had iron tablets of doctor for a while..im just praying all comes back fine this time xx

It sounds like they're testing for antibodies to tTG, which is short for tissue transglutaminase. If you have coeliac disease, this test will be positive in most cases. Coeliac disease isn't 'wheat intolerance', it's an autoimmune disease in which you have an immune reaction to gliadin, a component of gluten, which is found in wheat, barley, rye, and oats.

The immune reaction damages the lining of your small intestine, and stops you being able to absorb nutrients from your food, causing diarrhoea, bloating, abdominal pain, and iron deficiency anaemia.

The reason your doctor has requested this test is to rule out coeliac disease as a cause for your anaemia. Coeliac disease is pretty underdiagnosed and a lot of people who think they have IBS actually are coeliac. In light of your digestive symptoms, the GP probably figures it's a sensible check to do. He should have told you though!

But, don't panic - it's a pretty routine screening test, hospital labs do loads of them. It doesn't mean that your GP thinks you have coeliac disease! If it does come back positive you will get a lot of help from a dietician about what changes you need to make to your diet.

I hope the tests come back with some helpful answers for you :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->