what is wheat tolerance???

rachael22

Reaction score
if i have spelt it right? anyway went to the doctors 2day to have a ferritin check because my iron was low 3 months ago and been put on iron tabs for a month or 2 cant remember how long? anyway wen i went into have the bloods i sed to the nurse its only ferritin isnt it? she replied its for ferritin,FBC and a weird word something like TgH anyway asked her what it was for and she explained its to do with wheat intoerance? the doc didnt mention anything like this 2 me when he asked for the bloods to be repeated now its got me thinking why am i being tested for this? could it be interlinked

and any of you ladies suffer with it please share your stories

thanks xx

Hey me Mum had a wheat intolerance. It's basically Coeliac disease.

It's quite a serious condition and needs to be monitored with a strict diet.

Maybe this link can help. https://www.coeliac.org.uk/coeliac-disease/what-is-coeliac-disease?gclid=CKuGoKyrjq0CFYQLfAodnWyeoQ

x

i dont know if i have got it yet.ive got to wait for my results ...how long have your mam had it for ..and thanx for the link :flower: i also have a good few of these symptoms xx

My LO has a wheat allergy, he was diagnosed at 22 months and has to follow a strict diet similar to the diet people with cealiac follow

Sounds like they were checking for Coeliac Disease - anemia (low iron/hemoglobin) is a common symptom. I have it (diagnosed 4 years ago).

Sounds like they were checking for Coeliac Disease - anemia (low iron/hemoglobin) is a common symptom. I have it (diagnosed 4 years ago).

hiya thanks for replyin i am getting symptoms of coeliac disease ive read up symptoms online but i was just putting it down to having gallbladder disease as it dont function well and alot of the symptoms are similiar...also i wasnt anemic when having the blood test the doctor said this. it was just lower than normal and put me on tabs to avoid anemia...i really hope all comes back well :nope:

how are you getting on with it? (diet wise) and do u have low iron? what other symptoms to u get? also sorry for the questions how old r u? u dont look very old im 23 Xx

hiya thanks for replyin i am getting symptoms of coeliac disease ive read up symptoms online but i was just putting it down to having gallbladder disease as it dont function well and alot of the symptoms are similiar...also i wasnt anemic when having the blood test the doctor said this. it was just lower than normal and put me on tabs to avoid anemia...i really hope all comes back well :nope:

how are you getting on with it? (diet wise) and do u have low iron? what other symptoms to u get? also sorry for the questions how old r u? u dont look very old im 23 Xx

Getting on ok with it, took a while to get used to the diet but now its ok. There is so much gluten and wheat free foods now so its much easier than it used to be. I have low hemoglobin almost every time I'm checked (extremely low during pregnancy) but apart from that I don't get any symptoms anymore unless I accidently eat the wrong food.
I'm 25 (was diagnosed on my 21st birthday :( )

i dont know if i have got it yet.ive got to wait for my results ...how long have your mam had it for ..and thanx for the link :flower: i also have a good few of these symptoms xx

She was diagnosed with it in June 2002 and died from bowel cancer Feb 2009.

The best advice I can give anyone who has it is stick to the diet. I hope you don't have it though, it's awful to live with. X

She was diagnosed with it in June 2002 and died from bowel cancer Feb 2009.

The best advice I can give anyone who has it is stick to the diet. I hope you don't have it though, it's awful to live with. X

im sorry about your mam :hugs: my mother passed away september this year xmas is going to be very hard! :nope: xx

if i have spelt it right? anyway went to the doctors 2day to have a ferritin check because my iron was low 3 months ago and been put on iron tabs for a month or 2 cant remember how long? anyway wen i went into have the bloods i sed to the nurse its only ferritin isnt it? she replied its for ferritin,FBC and a weird word something like TgH anyway asked her what it was for and she explained its to do with wheat intoerance? the doc didnt mention anything like this 2 me when he asked for the bloods to be repeated now its got me thinking why am i being tested for this? could it be interlinked

and any of you ladies suffer with it please share your stories

thanks xx

Hi hun, not sure if you remember me. My ten year old daughter has coeliac disease, it isnt the same as a wheat intolerance, coeliac diease is an autoimmune condition which means you cant eat wheat, barley oats or rye. Ella was picked up through low ferritin levels and was suffering joint pains. The tests you are describing is a coeliac screening test. It is heridtory although we do not know where Ella got it from although its common in the irish and my husbands side is irish and his dad died from stomach cancer, and suffered lots of gastro problems. Any questions feel free to ask me hun, its not as scary as you think you will soon get used to the diet. Firstly though once a positive blood test you will need an endoscopy to take a biopsy the only true way of diagnosing coeliac disease and lots of people can have false blood tests and sometimes that can be down to not eating enough of gluten. I am being tested again in March as I am showing symptoms. It can be triggered at any time in your life, often gets mistaken for IBS which is disgusting as if left undiagnosed can kill. I have been doing the gluten free diet now for nearly 6 years, Ella is under Great Ormond Street, feel free to PM me anytime hunnie. Oh also, if you have any auto immune conditions in your family eg thyroid, type 1 diabetes (strongly linked) then you are defo at risk from others. Good luck my love xxxxx ps. do not stop eating gluten before any tests.

Once diagnosed with it how hard it may be never stray, as Ella never suffered gastro symptoms it was harder to pick up. Now in all the years she has had it she has been glutened 3 times, once by me and each time the pain gets worse. The longer you are gf the worse the symptoms are if you eat gluten. Its that bad you have to have your own toaster, margerine tubs etc due to cross contamination. Please dont be frightened. It can take between 6 months to 2 years for the gut to heal although after one year Ellas bloods eventually came back negative and iron fine, her iron level is higher than mine at the moment, I am anemic and they are testing my ferritin in March along with a full blood count and coeliac screen. Ferritin is your irons back up source. There are loads of yummy foods you can buy, Marks & Spencers are fab, Tesco and Sainsburys, Waitrose have a good range. Fresh rolls from supermarkets are lush and Genius bread. Most can be bought on prescription you just buy a prepayment card. Although Ellas is free as she is 10 well nearly 11. If you do have it keep an eye on your younger ones, I will be keeping an eye on Macy, she has been fine so far, Callum well not sure I am going to get him tested again. As my daughter has this I know it like the back of my hand and dont want to sound like a know it all lol but as its my child I make it my business to research as much as I can as how I manage her condition now dictates her future health. There is light at the end of the tunnel I hope they are developing a vaccine that maybe in 5 years could be available which turns off the bodys response to gluten so wont see it as poison :happydance::happydance::happydance:

hiya thanks for your reply ive had tests on my stomach and my gallbladder seems to b the blame as ive had an hida scan and the results came back that it wasnt functioning very well... i havent had my iron checked since having LO a year ago im nit sure what was low ferritin or heamaglobin? as i had FBC and ferritin done... i havent yet rang for my results as im scared there will be something worng again! i had wheatabix for breakfast the morning of the gluten test so if anything was wrong they would of contacted me by now wouldnt they? i had the blood tests done 19th dec xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->