What kind of foods/drinks for midwives?

aliss

Reaction score
I'm having 2 midwives + a student midwife + a doula ... and my family here :rofl: Now, the doula and my family have agreed to help out for cooking together. What sort of meals would be best to provide?

Coffee I know for sure, but what would you all recommend? Particularly if it's an overnight long labour? (as my last one was 3 days although that was hospital).

I don't really just want to buy cookies or something, I'd like to offer them something nice.

I have homemde soup and bread in the freezer and a couple of loaf cakes and dough for freshly made cookies. I also have a few tubs of bolognaise sauce. My midwife commented that they tend not to think about food whilst they are working, once baby is here cake goes down well! We also have a bottle of champagne which I'm sure they'll have a little of (when I said it was Moet rather than cava she was quite happy ;) )

I think sandwiches would be nice, especially if it's something easy that someone can just put together (like a family member) while you are labouring. At my home birth group this month, one of the midwives said the best thing she's had was a cheese plate. I bet that would be easy. Just buy a bunch of cheeses with some nice crusty bread, and when it's time, someone can just chuck it on a plate and everyone can help themselves. Bananas would probably also be good, filling and easy.

Thanks girls these are great ideas!!!

I'm sure my French midwives will not complain of a cheese platter with red wine or some champagne :rofl:

I have quite a few midwives coming to this birth (2 plus their three apprentices!) plus my OH and I, so I admit to being nervous about having enough food for everyone.

I'm going to have a loaf of pumpkin bread out that I've already made and frozen, along with some small snackies (fruit- apples, oranges, etc- maybe a small cheese-and-crackers ball if I can make it on time). And then, when my labor starts, I'm planning on throwing all the fixin's for chili into the crockpot, seasoning it, and putting the toppings and stuff for it to the side- then everyone can help themselves as they see fit. I've already browned and frozen the meat for it so really it's just a matter of opening a few cans and tossing everything in! This way I figure there'll be snack-y food but there will also be a real meal for anyone who wants it, without me having to worry about cooking!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->