What medications are safe for flu/cold symptoms? In major need!!

LoveMy2Boys2

Reaction score
I got hit hard with some nasty bug over night, my head is pounding, seeing black spots ( kinda worrying me but in sure in dehydrated also from vomitting) my nose is congested runny and stuffed, sore throat.... Body aches. Ugh. Misery. So far today I have drank green tea with lemon And lots of water, along with saltines.... Sending hubby for chicken noodle soup:/ wish he could just make a giant batch! Anything will do for now, I'm stuck in bed and have a 4&6yr old running around.... Help!! What can I send hubby to get for me ?!

I'm sorry you feeling so awful, hun. I was told by my OB that I could take medicine with either dextromethorphan or guaifenesin, or a combo of both. I used Mucinex D or Robitussin DM when I was sick. He also said Claritin D was ok to take. I also found that a warm salt water gargle alternated with a honey/Apple cider vinegar gargle helped my sore throat(1 tbs honey, 1 tbs Apple cider vinegar, 1 cup warm water) You can also drink that combo if you don't mind the taste. I did sometimes.
You may also call your doctor to see if there may be something they can prescribe that might help.
Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Poor you! I think paracetamol would be the best thing to take for fever and pain relief. I see you're in the US, so I know you don't call it paracetamol, maybe tylenol or something like that?

Thank you so much!! Good idea on the gargle .... I normally try to use homeopathic remedies first, but this virus is a monster! I know i can take tylonal and some allergy meds..... Good to know on the mucinex! I definitely could use some of that....

When my husband had the flu, we both took extra vitamin D and vitamin C, and some herbal anti-viral drops (made with echinacea -- half the recommended dosage if you're pregnant). He got better within 2 days and DD and I didn't get sick at all.

I strongly second the recommendation for Robitussin DM it breaks up congestion and sooths cough. I seriously didn't think I would have survived my cold I had in 2nd Tri without it, it was the only thing that let me sleep without fear that I was going to suffocate/cough to death. It's on my approved list and I had no complications from it (except the ingredient guaifenesin makes my lady bits smell like I'm packing a slice of bologna in my panties :shrug:...not that I'm up for dtd when I'm that sickly anyway, so it's a small price to pay).

As for dehydration, you might try some pedialyte or coconut water for rehydration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->