What nappy related items do I need?

OmiOmen

Mum of two
Reaction score
I know I need the nappies, wraps, boosters, and liners but what related items do I need to actually use re-usables on a day to day basis? I want to know what I need for changing, washing and out and about. Here is a list of what I think I need but could you please tell me if I have missed anything off or not...

*Nappy bin
*Non-bio washing powder (I know not to use fabric softener but should anything else be added to the wash?)
*Sanitary towel and oil to make the bin smell better (I read that tip on here and it sounds like a good idea)
*Mesh laundry bags (How many? Two?)
*A waterproof out and about bag to store dirty nappy's
*Re-usable wipes
*Spray bottle for using re-usable wipes when out and about

Anything else? :wacko:

i dont use mesh laundry bags, i have a large underbed storage box thing that i store my used nappies in, i dont have a waterproof bag for out and about, although thery are fairly useful, i just use plastic bags most of the time but a reusable one is certainly better for the environment, i wouldnt recommend using a spray bottle either, it takes aaaaages to get the wipe wet enough haha, buy one of those small bottles with sports cap, you can get tiny ones in boots for like 40p, with water in obv but drink the water and there you go lol, i dont really use much else tbh, sounds liek youre pretty covered :D

x

I used to use mesh bags but don't bother anymore either :) O, and i use bold 2 in 1 as it has the only ubil;t in softner "safe" for nappies. I dont' use reuseable wipes when out and an about so can't help there i'm afraid x

i use a johnsons small baby oil bottle for my wipe solution - works fab! i did use a spray bottle but it takes an age to wet the wipe enough to use.

i do keep normal nappy sacks in my change bag as well as a re-usable wetbag - i have the close parent pop in stripy one which babipur sell for about £4 i easily get 6 nappies in (more if i'm using flips)

I have the pop in reusable wipes as well they're bamboo and you get 10 wipes for about £12 and they come in a wet bag big enough to store one dirty nappy.

instead of sanitary towels inside the lid of my bucket (which i got a toy bucket from wilko for about £4) i use a reusable wipe with tea tree on and i tuck it under the edge of the mesh bag (it holds it in place - my only reason for using mesh bags really)

I dont have a specific nappy bin (just a normal box thats lid clips in place) and I dont use mesh bags. I also dont put anything in/on the nappy box for smells because...well...it doesnt smell! We wash it every time I put a nappy wash on just to be sure but it really doesnt smell so I leave it be. I dont have a wetbag at the moment but plan to get one, Im thinking of the Cushie Tushie one as it comes with a little one for wipes too but Im undecided, it would be easier than using the throw away nappy bags and I hate throwing stuff away anyway.
I have a small pack of disposable wipes in the nappy bag (one out of a bounty pack!) just incase but I keep some reusable wipes with a small spray bottle (its an old mini dettol bottle again out of a bounty pack!) though I like littlestars idea of using a mini baby oil bottle.

There is very little you "need" outside a nappy bin/box, non bio (or bold) and a washing machine!

these are all I can think of:

Bin - got a £6 one that holds 16L which is big enough for 3 days, but any bin would do really! (has gone up in price now!) cheeks & cherries bin

I just use a muslin at the bottom of the bin with a few drops of tea tree oil on it, I stick it in with the nappies on wash day. Our bin doesnt smell at all with the lid on but after day 1, when you open it you get a whiff of amonia (Chloe is on high energy formula so her wees are very strong!) hence why I use the tea tree!

I have 2 mesh bags fill-your-pants.com mesh-bags

I use an old pampers box that had wipes in, not sure where I got it but I put my reusable wipes in there at home and add some water and baby bath to it. I got the Pop In wipes too babipur Pop In wipes

Have a wet bag for out and about, a cute Gro Baby one. funky monkey pants wetbags

Think thats it, but you can make it as cheap as you want to by making wipes yourself etc xx

I do use mesh bags, and if you're using one you can just put some tea tree or lavender oil on the side of that instead of a sanitary towel etc.

One thing I've found invaluable recently (weaning poos :sick:) - rubber gloves!!! Obviously I don't change Leyla wearing them, though it's tempting to and to stick a peg on my nose too, but I do rinse poo off the nappies before sticking them in the bucket and the gloves are very handy for that! I keep them in the bathroom and they're just the 'poo gloves' - wouldn't want to use them for anything else! I didn't think of it for the first few months of using cloth... :dohh: poo is not very nice squished up your fingernails!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->