what personal care products do you and your kids use.?

Lucy Lu

Reaction score
Hi ladies... its been an absolute age since I last posted on babyandbump and this is my first look in the natural parenting section, so all very new for me! I have 2 young kids, 5 and 3 years old.

The last few months ive become increasingly conscious of all the health and beauty products we put in our bodies, so have been looking into alternatives for the whole family. Ive been dabbling with a few 'natural' products but as ive read more and more, im becoming pretty cynical of a lot of these. Many seem to have taken out the chemicals that have had worst media coverage but replaced them with other dubious ones!... so I dont feel many of them warrant paying the higher prices, and am now dabbling in making my own shampoo/soaps.

What does everyone else use in the way of body wash/shampoos/deos etc, for yourself and kids?... either manufactured or home made?

I have gotten kinda lax lately, but usually we use

Dr. Bronners Soap - peppermint is our favorite
Coconut oil
California baby - we all use it! My husband and older son love their eczema treatment line, it really keeps their eczema-prone skin looking clear. We buy tons of this stuff, all the different lines - bubble bath, diaper rash cream, hair conditioner, wash, lotions, everything
Crystal salt deodorant

And All kinds of essential oils :)

We have been using toms toothpaste, but I am going to be trying some different brands.
I am looking forward to getting back to our regular routine in the new year!

I don't use shampoo or soap in the shower. With time, your body adjusts so that you no longer need either. I simply didn't start bathing Violet with soap or shampoo which means her body has never needed it. I do use rinse my hair and Violets with apple cider vinegar as our slightly hard water makes hair have a terrible texture if the pH isn't corrected. For deodorant, I just make sure there are no metals or antiperspirants in it. I also don't wear make up or dye my hair.

I use coconut oil as a conditioner and moisturiser.

For DS:

California Baby Lavender (expensive, but I bought one big pump one and we have had it forever!) body wash/shampoo
Kinky Curly Knot Today detangler/leave in conditioner
Curl Love Moisture Milk leave in (occasionally)
Kinky Curly Curling Custard (occasionally, for pictures or what not)

For me:
Kinky Curly Come Clean Shampoo
Kinky Curly Knot Today detangler/leave in conditioner
Curl Love Moisture Milk leave in
Kinky Curly Curling Custard (occasionally)
Whatever Organic, locally made soap I have on hand...seriously the bar lasts like 6 months and I just buy whatever they have at the cloth diaper store that smells good.

DH uses my bar soap, and some kind of Dove 3-in-1 or something, I have no idea....

Kinky Curly makes a kids line, which I will probably buy for DS later.

My husband and I only use apple cider vinegar and baking soda in our hair. Then we use a natural face lotion, but that's it. We make our own deodorant with baking soda, coconut oil, and lavender drops. Works super well!

DD doesn't use anything but water -- no shampoo, lotions, or anything -- and hasn't her whole life except some occasional coconut oil.

We use coconut oil, mango and cocoa butter. Mango butter is supposed to have a sunscreen effect but I'm not sure if it is working? Kids are getting so brown!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->