What should baby sleep in after it's grown out of Moses basket?

TrixieLox

Reaction score
We want our little girl in our room for the first 6 months and were planning on using a Moses basket. But see they grow out of them at 3-4 months. Cot will be too big for room. There's the option of a crib but they're kinda big too and pricey. So what's to be done in those 2-3 months before we move her into nursery?!

If you are getting a carrycot with your pram you could use that as they last up to 6 mths as long as it is fit to be slept overnight in. I put my boys in their cot once they grew out of the Moses basket or even before as they didn't settle in the basket!

i am using a moses basket also then putting straight into cot when ready... i feel like its a waste of money to buy an inbetween aswell ... is there a reason she can't go into her own room when ready for a cot? just wondering as im not sure when to move the basket/put him in the cot in his own room

I used a bassinet that my baby could spend the first 6 months in, instead. He ended up needing to move to a crib at 4 months, though, because he rolled so much that I didn't feel he was safe outside of a crib anymore.

I have an older bassinet, which I bought used. Couldn't afford a new one. However, the bassinets that are being sold now tend to have mesh around the inside, in case baby does roll over into the side. Mine didn't have that, which is why I needed to move him so early. Check 'em out!

But I agree that it would be a waste of money to buy something just to use for 2-3 months... If you want a Moses basket, I'd just switch baby over to the crib/cot afterwards... Instead of spending the money on an in-between item, use that money on a movement monitor! That peace of mind is priceless! :)

We just co sleep, but also use a cosleeper attached to the bed some. It converts to play yard as well, so we can use it later when they grown out. And this is the third baby it's been through!

We just co sleep, but also use a cosleeper attached to the bed some. It converts to play yard as well, so we can use it later when they grown out. And this is the third baby it's been through!

What kind of cosleeper do you use? It sounds awesome!

An ArmsReach Mini Cosleeper. It is solid and attached firmly to the bed, but can also be used stand alone or convert to a playyard.

Thanks, girls! I think the NHS recommends baby sleeps in your room first 6 months, I might be wrong but anyway, that's how long I'd like here in our room. Co sleepers are quite pricey here in the uk. As for cosleeping itself, not comfortable with it after reading a couple cases of things going wrong. Just me being paranoid, I know.

I dont think theres any rules for sleeping in what room over here .. heaps of people here put bubs alone from day one to avoid any issues with separation later...

Maybe buy a crib instead of a basinet and put him or her straightin that... rather then spending the money twice
Thats the only way I can see it working properly

I've never really been able to use a Moses as my babies have been too big from very early on (Eddy never even laid in it!) so I just use a cot. We managed to squeeze his cot in with us, and then bought a cotbed (bigger and converts to a toddler bed) when he moved into Earl's room when he was 7ish months. He had actually grown out of the cot too so it made sense, and it frees up the cot for the new baby too. :thumbup:

Instead of a moses basket, we're getting a gliding crib for our room. They are bigger than moses baskets, but need to be as baby is in them longer. You can pick them up pretty cheap, just about shopping around. Especially if you're not fussed about rocking/gliding motion. Check out ebay/Gumtree in your area. I've seen cribs on there go for £20-£40. All you need to do is buy a new mattress. Most babies can be in a crib until 6-8 months. Could be worth getting one of those, instead of a moses basket from the start, save spending twice?

Thanks, girls! I think the NHS recommends baby sleeps in your room first 6 months, I might be wrong but anyway, that's how long I'd like here in our room. Co sleepers are quite pricey here in the uk. As for cosleeping itself, not comfortable with it after reading a couple cases of things going wrong. Just me being paranoid, I know.

Yeah I got told this too,but think while baby in Moses basket will have them in our room,and soon as out grown it will go in their cot in the room next door,Im going to get a baby video monitor.

We're planning to use a travel cot for the first 6 months in our room. We'll have access to a moses basket but probably will only use it when its convenient.

We're not even buying a proper cot until he/she is ready to move into their own room at 6 months.

Jorja was in her cot after 4 weeks because she hated her basket, and was In her own room from 4 months. Oliver was a different story! He was in with me until he was 6 months and he would only sleep in his crib because once again he hated his basket. So I've gotten rid of the basket all together and this one is going straight into his crib. And can hopefully go up into Oliver's room with him at 5-6 months all depending on his sleep routine xx

Those with co-sleeper beds that attach to your bed, can I ask:

Is it an easy transition from there to cot 6months+ only I can imagine if they were used to you being right there they would struggle in a cot..especially once it went in another room?

What's the difference between the co-sleeper beds and a basket in that both can be right next to bed and easily looked into/reached into?

I really love the look of the co-sleeper but wanted to ask these questions before I made my mind up! Thanks

I'm planning on a crib instead of a Moses basket. Mothercare have a rocking one for £59.99 which is similar to the prices I've seen for some Moses baskets.

I plan for baby to sleep in the crib in our room and then move to the cot in the nursery when they're older ( not sure how old yet but 6 months seems a long time)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->