What Sort of Parent Are You?

juliep

Reaction score
My parenting style is very child driven. I get on great with my daughter who is seven and have few rules, no fixed bed times for example, she calls me Julie.

I get criticized a lot and told that I am storing up trouble, but she is a timed, well behaved girl with good manners. I guess if she was more adventures my parenting style would be different.

So wondering how offer people choose to parent.

Your daughter sounds wonderful! :)

I'm pretty child driven too. I explain everything, there's no 'because I said so'. Although I do take LO up to bed at a certain time (although that's driven by how tired I think he is) he is able to play or read in bed until he falls asleep. He's allowed to sleep where he wants and funnily enough, quite often calls me by my first name :)

I think he will push the boundaries quite a lot at school to start with, but everyone comments on what a happy chatty boy he is so so far, so good!

Im quite laid back with my kids, probably too soft, and i dont follow many rules tbb apart from bed time routine, home work and if thier being naughty having to sort them out, sometimes i sish i'd been more strict from the start because my kids, especially my boys can be a handfull ! But i try my best, and there are no rules to parenting, also i think it depends on the kind of person you are x

We for sure have rules and structure in our household- but also make sure the kiddos feel they have some say. Obviously within reason ;) I just keep a very open line of communication with my SD- we talk honestly about things, and there is a good level of trust and respect. She's 15 now and tbh, easier now than she was at 9-10yrs old... she is more mature and so caring and loving and we all just get along great. I'm hopeful I'll have the same open/trusting relationship with my LO as she grows. I figure being a good parent and doing right by my children is number 1. The rest will fall into place as needed.

I do think that some if it is driven by the child- we hardly ever have to "inforce" many rules with my SD. She is just that type of kid and very honest with us and actually takes what we say to heart. Maybe another kid wouldn't be the same? I don't feel there is one size fits all when it comes to parenting. Just lots of love and do the best you can :)

We have rules in our house, I am a pretty laid back person but I feel children needs rules/structure and a routine. Both my boys, age 4 and 14 have a bed time, they have rules they have to stick to and we have a daily routine, I feel if I didnt have a routine then our days would just be complete madness.

Both my boys are well behaved boys and have very good manners which they use when needed, they both have a level head on their shoulders and both are very mature for their age, they are well driven boys and my 14 year old knows what he wants in life and is aiming high :)

I feel I have done something right, but I dont feel how my boys have turned out is all to do with my parenting style, they have their own character and although a little bit of how they are is down to me, I feel they are just being themselves not what I have trained them to be :)

Ohhhhh and if either of my boys called me Sabrina I think I would take a heart attack :haha::haha:

We have routine as i think that is very important - in life in general there is a routine and rules we have to live by everyday even as adults.........and routine to me is very important and a vital thing for anyone.
i am also pretty laid back but we have bedtimes and boundaries when my eldest plays out, not so many rules as such.....

i have never done the whole naughty step or sticker chart buisness, if they do something wrong i tell them what and why and explain, they know right from wrong and i'm consistant with them, nip things in the bud straight away..........but its a rare thing.
Both my girls are always been easy laid back happy children, i have never had a day in over 7 years where i have feel stressed out with them at all...... (i do work with children so maybe i just handle it better or have patience or maybe they are just great kids ha !:winkwink:)
i think having a routine, structure, rules and stability is vital.
my girls have never hurt other children, physically or verbally and wouldnt dream of being mean its just not in there nature, they are kind and respectful, say please and thank you, they are both different in their own ways, my eldest is sensitive, caring, thoughtful, considerate, and my youngest is independant, confident and strong and loving and i hope that we have played a part in helping them become the gorgeous children they are especially keeping a stable home enviroment which having been with my husband 11 years hasnt been easy :haha: and i am very proud of that because that alone is hard work :wacko:

OH and my daughters call me mummy , i'm one of those people who think its weird to have your child call you by your first name.:haha:

We are quite strict, but not rigid and we dont use spanking, or yelling. I try to use natural or related consequences. School is very important, and sports. My children are my children. I am the parent, not their friend. I am there to love, teach, nurture, guide, support.... They all call me 'mommy' and we are avery close family. We travel, and play lots. Work hard and play hard. We have a child with autism, so we adapt and work as a team. We all support...even the baby!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->