What techniques can i use for a natural vbac?

little_lady

Mum of two
Reaction score
Long story short - last baby was back to back and I had an epidural and pitocin, she got stuck when I was pushing and ended up with a c section. Consultant wants me to elcs this time as he says I have a small pelvis.

I am really considering a vbac, however if I go for it I don't want the interventions again. I always liked the idea of a natural birth, no interventions, but I don't know where to start with a vbac. I won't be allowed a home birth or waterbirth and will have to be constantly monitored as hospital 'policy'. I also have spd.

What are my best options? How can I prepare?

maybe you could hire a doula? i will be hiring a midwife to assist my delivery.. i will be trying ot have a vba2c i also have a small pelvis...

Definitely look into hiring, or at least speaking to, a doula. You absolutely can have a home birth or water birth after a c-section, and you don't have to be monitored continuously if you don't want. Remember that it's your body and your decision as to what can and can't happen to you.

I personally am not comfortable with the idea of homebirth, but I am hoping for a VBAC, possibly in water. The hospital have said that they have wireless monitors, but I'm considering not agreeing to continuous monitoring unless intermittent monitoring with a doppler shows there is a problem. I've done oodles of reading, and continuous monitoring doesn't improve outcomes for mothers or babies, but it does increase the rate of caesarian sections. Not what we want!

As for having a 'small' pelvis - if you had an epidural last time and were trying to birth on your back, then your pelvis won't have been able to open to its maximum, and you'll have been pushing up hill. Definitely consider being mobile throughout labour and as upright as possible while giving birth, to give your baby more room to descend and be born.

There is loads of positive VBAC support out there. You might find a group based locally to you, too.

Good luck with your VBAC, and don't let a consultant push you into anything you're not comfortable with. I was told by my consultant that women having VBACs have more chance of a successful natural birth than a first timer, so there's no reason to assume you won't be able to give birth naturally, if that's what you want :flower:

Thanks patch, v helpful. I will def keep looking around for info and positive stories.

Sounds like you are in the same position as me! I ended up with a c-section last time due to baby being btb and hyper extending his neck. I was fully dilated and had been pushing for hours!

I'm using an IM (independent midwife) this time around to try again for a home birth.

I will be doing Hypno Birth (the Mongan Method) - which I used last time and highly recommend.

My midwife has also suggested various things to help me try to ensure my baby is in the best position - to try to give best possible chance of vaginal birth this time...

There is a website called www.spinningbabies.com which gives you exercises you can do all through pregnancy to try to ensure good positioning.

My IM also stresses the importance of correct diet - cutting out unecessary fats and sugars to ensure baby doesn't pile on the pounds!

She has also suggested pregnancy yoga to help with posture (and thus positioning).

Thank you, will have a look at these.

How did you manage with the back to back labour? For me the pain was unbearable but at the same time I think if my labour hadn't been so long (14 hours from 4cm) I could have done it naturally.

Just worried I'll give in to wanting an epi again and things will spiral out of control from there!

Hypno Birth techniques definitly helped me cope.

I didn't know my baby was back to back until well into labour. I started labour at about midnight and didn't actually have the c-section until about 6pm and for many hours of that I was pushing! I remember them saying to me at one point, quite early on "One good push and he'll be out" (before they knew he was back to back) and me thinking "Wow, if that's true then this ain't so bad at all!"

The contractions were very strong, I couldn't lean backwards AT ALL even though they kept asking me to change position I felt stuck the way I was leaned over forwards.

I was coping really well using the hypnobirth techniques though. I did have the usual "I can't do this" moments (I guess that was "transition") and I had a bit of gas and air but, in hindsight, wished I hadn't as I once I had I felt very drunk and lost focus on my hypnobirth techniques and felt very out of control.

By the time I was in hospital and they gave me pictocin/sintocinon or whatever and brought the contractions back stronger I was totally exhausted and totally out of control - sucking on gas and air like a maniac - I just wanted it over. I only had the epidural for the c-section - so I was totally numb from the chest down. The sensation of relief was incredible.

This time around I know that I can handle the contractions right up to pushing without any pain relief as that's what I did last time. I won't even have gas and air available this time which I'm glad about and I feel really confident about being able to handle the contractions.

Also as I'm using an IM who is very experienced malpositioned babies (and very experienced in general) I feel really confident that I will get the baby out even if it is btb.

I think that being given pictocin/sintocinon contributed to me ending up with a c-section. Also my waters were manually broken which, I think, caused my babies neck to flex backward - making him try to come out face first which is impossible!

I feel that using an IM will give me the very best support and is the most importnant thing for me - I think confidence and not being afraid are so important - I think have an HBAC at home with an IM gives me the best chance of avoiding pain relief and unecessary interventions.

Also HypnoBirth is brilliant and really, really helped me - I did a course last time, it was about £250 but sooooooo worth it.

Sorry for the mega long answer!

Don't be sorry, this is all really useful! I agree with the gas and air, when I used it I felt like I could no longer control each contraction. The midwife examined me and thought I might be nearly ready to push but unfortunately I was only 5cm - that's when my mindset changed and I went straight for the epidural. Until then, I thought I could do it. I *think* I could do it naturally this time, but I made the mistake before
Of telling myself it wouldnt be very painful, instead of concentrating on how to actually deal with the pain.

When are you due, badswan?

I'm due 13th April (which is actually my birthday too!). How about you?

You can totally do this without an epidural - think of all the women in the world who don't have access to one anyway?

Keep focussed and prepare as much as you can - it will be painful but remember the pain is FINITE and PRODUCTIVE and means you'll end up with a beautfiul baby!

If you can't afford an IM maybe a doula would be a good idea - someone to support you during labour and remind you that you can do it without drugs while you are at your low points I think would be very helpful.

Due 21st March.

Expenses won't stretch to a trained doula :( but I might be able to afford a trainee one, if I can find one. Would like to get hubby on board as he's good at massages etc but he's normally more concerned with sleeping or eating lol.

Yeah it's expensive - we are practically bankrupting ourselves to afford the IM!

Maybe even a good friend or family member who you can prepare before hand? You could give her a list and flash cards to remind her what to say? I'm having a good think before hand and telling my husband what I do and don't want to hear during labour - I'm going to write reminders for him as I know he'll forget in the moment!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->