What tips/tricks have you used to help start labor?

LoveMy2Boys2

Reaction score
Please share anything that has worked for you in the past or anything you are attempting to get things moving along ..... Last pregnancy I used epo and bounced on the ball a lot, that really seemed to help dilate and efface..... This time around I'm almost 36 wks and haven't started preparing in any way besides drinking red raspberry leaf tea.... And not even the recommended amount :/ I don't have a giant ball anymore and slacking on getting one, and I haven't started epo yet ! Feel like I already failed and at successfully starting the effacement/dilation ! Ahhhhh

Bouncing on the ball

Reflexology (16/01/14) you're only allowed this at 38 weeks I think it was... Think it was maternity reflexology.

Sex (17/01/14) waters broke a few hours later- so not sure if it was that or the reflexology lol!
We hadn't bd for ages as I was in too much pain but I heard the :spermy: help soften your cervix or something like that?

Drank pineapple juice too for about a week I think it was (my midwife told me to try it)

Anyhow I had my daughter at 38+4 and not sure if any of these factors contributed or not!

Primrose oil caplets. I took that and had my son at 36+5 weeks. I was told to start taking it during that week because it "should" take a week then BAM! Went Into labor a couple days later.

My first pregnancy I delivered at 36+6 weeks and all I remember from that was ....I was craving a snack one night and the only thing that sound appealing was to snack on Jalapeño peppers... A few hours later while taking a shower the contractions began.

Now, I'm not sure if my reasons "started" the labor, but I'm just letting you know what occurred during the time I began labour.

Thanks ladies!!! I was reading about the accupressure, is that the same as reflexology? Ugh sex is torture! Maybe since I never do it maybe it will trigger something haha.... How much epo should I take ? Last pregnancy I only inserted capsules 1-2xday....

Bounce on the ball alllll day.

Insert primrose capsules to soften cervix

Not to be a Debbie downer but I don't think anything really helps start labor if your body isn't ready... I am currently experiencing my third late arrival. I know my dates with each baby exactly but my body just isn't ready at 40 weeks. Sorry. Not the answer you want to hear, cause honestly at this point pregnancy is really really not fun.

I agree like I said I don't know if any of these methods helped my body along or not but that's what I done during the run up to labour...

I'm not sure? Maternity reflexology is on your feet, it won't make you go I to labour but it's meant to do something to help along if you're ready.

Sex is horrible I know! That was the first time we bd in soooooo long!

Ohhh I know it, nothing Will put you in labor if ur body isn't ready, I'd just like to do something to prepare my body to make the labor process easier.... With my first I did nothing, had to be induced starting at 0 dilation and 30% effaced ( I think) and 25 hrs of torture and 3 hrs of pushing later I had him..... Second baby I used epo and bounced on a ball, 2 days before labor I was already effaced to 70% and almost a 4.... I was set up for induction , had him 3 hrs later and just 3 pushes later! Healed so much better and was much more pleasant experience lol.....
This time around I'm having insane amount of small contractions on top of eachother causing nothing but horrid cramps and vomiting :( wish they'd at least do something productive down there..... Just been so miserable!
Thanks for all the input!! Appreciate it :)

Think ill resort back to the epo today , can't remember how much to take .... Ill do some googling and get on it!

The only thing I was really doing with my last pregnancy that seemed to speed up labor was lots and lots of walking. I was taking 2 decent walks a day (at least 30 minutes).

Good luck! Try and bd you never know (I'm convinced that's what helped me but who knows)

With my first i tried pumping, i felt contractions for a while after i would pump, but that never put me into labor. I went into labor in the middle of the night after having my membranes stripped at 39 weeks. With my second, after i had a cervix check at 37 weeks, i went to the mall and power walked as fast as i could for about an hour. I had constant contractions the entire time. Went into labor that night and had my baby a few hours later.

Please share anything that has worked for you in the past or anything you are attempting to get things moving along ..... Last pregnancy I used epo and bounced on the ball a lot, that really seemed to help dilate and efface..... This time around I'm almost 36 wks and haven't started preparing in any way besides drinking red raspberry leaf tea.... And not even the recommended amount :/ I don't have a giant ball anymore and slacking on getting one, and I haven't started epo yet ! Feel like I already failed and at successfully starting the effacement/dilation ! Ahhhhh

My sister swears by castor oil, however, nipple stimulation is a doctor proven method.

I tried castor oil with my son....it was gross and didn't work! I never pooped or went into labor :haha:

Thanks ladies!! Lol crack me up ..... I have yet to try the pump! I'd prob be able to start storing milk at this point though lol so I guess it would be a win situation someway or another ! Castor oil failed me terrible last pregnancy, but worked awesome for both of my friends .... It just gave me severe diareah for 24 hrs, I couldn't even leave the house for the entire next day! Never again.... Lol. I just bought 1,000 epo pills.... Going to start those tonight .... Maybe ill start to Attenpt sex again haaaa .... Poor husband would prob enjoy that anyways ! Any suggested positions? I know sperm supposed to help with effacement , how do u keep it up there?! Haha last time we did it I was on top for the first time in ages.... It was a mess! Never again.... Lol not til after baby!

Missionary and lay down for 15 minutes after with pillow under your bottom! I can't do that because after sex I always feel like my vag is burning! Apparently a lot women experience this in the 3rd tri but for those 20 minutes after sex I'm pretty sure everything is going to fall out :haha:

I was curious about Evening Primrose Oil, but seemingly it isn't advised:
https://www.birth.com.au/natural-th...s-homoeopathy-nipple-stimulation#.VMMSu4FOKK0

https://vbacfacts.com/2012/11/13/evening-primrose-oil-dont-use-it-if-you-are-pregnant/

I took EPO orally and inserted vaginally with my 2nd. My OB said it was fine so long as i thoroughly cleaned my hands beforehand.

Compared to my first baby the second was night/day. An absolute breeze.
And with DD(1) I went 3 weeks overdue without dilating at all.
With DS(2) i ended up going around 38+3 and labor was 1000x easier.

I also bounced on a ball with DS every night.

With dd i walked a TON, ate pinapple, and whatever else and still had no luck so i think the epo helped and plan on trying it again around 38 weeks if i havent gone into labor by then.

Btw... castor oil is a no no. It can cause LO to poo in your waters and cause infection and some other issues, if i remember right.
Not worth the risk.

Oh and before i forget.. i had sex doggy style an hour before i went into labor with DS, as well. :blush:

Sooo.. i say try epo and some good luvins and see where things go. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->