What to do if mw says no?

cookielucylou

Reaction score
Very stressful day yesterday I asked the mw about having a home birth and she basically said it would be hard as they are short on midwives. She is going to ring me to say whether i can or not, but what happens if she says no? Do I have to have a hospital birth?
I dont think she thought much to my reasonings and said I obviously have unresolved issues with my first birth. Basically I thought the care in the hospital was rubbish, and had no support while I was there which I found very hard after a fast labour with my son.
Bit worried now really that she is going to write down about yesterday(i got very upset over it) and it will mean I get watched once baby is here :(

If they say no I'd make an appointment with the supervisor of midwives and discuss it with them - they have more authority xxx

https://www.bwhct.nhs.uk/index/services-2008/maternity-overview/maternity-supervisors-midwives.htm

Thats interesting, thankyou.
I would just say dont bother coming then, but I cant see OH being too impressed with that lol.

They have a duty of care to provide you with a midwife wherever you choose to birth. Home birth is provided under the NHS, and if that's what you choose, then they are the ones who need to worry about their staffing issues, not you. If you showed up to hospital in labour and they said, 'oh, sorry, we're short on staff, so you don't get a midwife' that would be unacceptable. It's the same with a home birth. They can say no, but you just call when you're in labour and tell them you are staying at home and they need to send you a midwife. They will. It's their job. But yes, make an appointment with the Supervisor of Midwives and let her know what you plan to do so they are aware they'll need to plan that into their staffing needs around that time. You don't need to argue your case or convince them why you want a home birth. Just say you're having one, end of, and they need to figure out their end.

The bit about 'staff shortages' might be helpful to you here: https://www.homebirth.org.uk/ (it's under 'Can I have a home birth if...')

That is a very informative site, thankyou. I shall have a proper read through later but what I did just read it looks like they do have to go with what I want.
The mw did agree at the end that with my history of fast labour(an hour with DS) it might be better to have an arranged home birth so I shall keep fingers crossed she does agree to it.
I was just so disappointed yesterday as I thought we would discuss what would happen etc not be told it would be really awkward. I think it knocked me off as soon as she mentioned being so short staffed and it made it hard to explain my reasonings behind it.

I would inform her that as unfortunate as it is being short staffed is not your problem and they have 9 weeks notice to find some one else to cover it.

Hurrah! If when you phone they say there aren't any midwives, tell your OH to be prepared to be a broken record 'we are having a home birth and expect you to send a competent midwife, we will look forward to seeing them soon' and repeat as they can sometimes try to bully you in to coming in x

If its anything like my first labour OH will have a hard job getting me to move anyway so he will have to insist on it.
I feel so relieved now-I thought they would try and come up with more excuses as to why i couldnt have one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->