What to do if your child(ren) wake overnight on Christmas Eve?

Sarah Lou 80

Reaction score
Hello!

Panicking about this as my almost 5 year old, who usually sleeps well, has been unwell and waking up in the night with a cough. Not sure what to do about his stocking as he will be expecting Father Christmas to leave it under his bed. Also, if he needs the toilet overnight, our bathroom is downstairs so he would have to walk through the lounge and past the tree with the presents underneath it!!

Any ideas?!

My children never sleep through so I have this thought every year. I just put their stockings out as late as I can with a warning that they are not to touch them if they wake and see them. Ds1 and ds2 always leave them but I’m not sure ds3 will so I’m going to have to put his stocking up higher I think.

As for walking past the presents I know it’s a shame if he see them but there doesn’t sound like there’s much you can do. Could you make sure he wakes you and you take him past the presents with his eyes covered?

Take a potty upstairs, say it's so he doesn't accidentally see Santa? Mine never wake up for a wee but DD2 has a cough too and was in my bed last night (yawn). Going to set an alarm for 5am and put the stockings out, that way if they wake I don't mind waking up...Love being up at silly o clock on Christmas day

We're all sleeping in the same bedroom at the in-laws tonight, so I'm not sure how that will work! Dd1 is such a light sleeper!

Previous years if she's woken up I've just told her she needs to go back to sleep quickly incase Santa's waiting to come.

Might be worth you taking a potty upstairs. I can't imagine how I'd get my girls back to sleep if they'd spotted all the presents!

One year my oldest woke at 3 and on his way to my room (he had to pass the stairs which went straight to the front door) he spotred santas foot prints. That was not a fun year i was so tired. I tried to get him to go back to sleep but he didnt really and i think i gave in at half 5. Thankfully our new house the stairs bend round so they wont be able to see unless they go right down. I would do what others have suggested with a potty or if he wakes you maybe cover his eyes and say its in case santa is there.

Thanks everyone! Really helpful replies ��The potty idea is great! Why didn't I think of that?!!

Merry Christmas to all x

My ds went into the sitting room this morning before properly waking me up so I'm worried he will tomorrow too! So I've brought him in to sleep with me, DH turfed into ds's bed haha, and I've rolled my gym ball against the inside of the closed bedroom door so we're barricaded in 😂 Let's see him get through THAT without waking me up!

My kids have never slept through the night. Not even my 6 year old. We wait until the kids wake up around 12-2, out them to bed in our bed and while I'm up in bed with them DH lays out the gifts.

Well we were lucky and he didn't wake up. I couldn't sleep a wink though!!

I'm glad he didn't wake up but sorry you couldn't sleep though!

I'm glad he didn't wake its so nerve wracking xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->