what to eat?

KatyR

Reaction score
My midwife thinks my diet / dehydration is causing my LOs low weight gain. I do sometimes miss breakfast and have a snack for lunch so am trying to overhaul what I eat.

Any suggestions on healthy snacks / lunches that are quick to make to help make my milk more nutritious for LO ?

I didnt eat healthily at all when i started breastfeeding but I did eat alot! I found that having easy snacks like cereal bars, fruit, oat biscuits, yogurts- anything i could just grab and eat or stockpile by the couch, was a great help. For lunch I tried to avoid hot foods as i normally had to eat it whilst feeding so sandwiches. Often prepackaged that i could take out the fridge.

I used to make cold drinks the night before so in the morning I could just grab it out of the fridge and not have to worry that I wasn't drinking enough.
I also had a stockpile by the couch, not so much healthy stuff although I did love oranges & strawberries along with crisps, chocolate snacks, crackers. Sandwiches & cold pasta salads are great, i had a lot of packaged meals as well lol :) :flower:

I practically live off avocados! Right out of the shell with a little salt, smashed on toast or a piece of pita bread, over a quick scrambled egg with a little salsa, etc. They are full of good fats and fiber and other good stuff I'm sure. They can be pricy so I try to stock up on unripened ones when they are on sale.

Also whole grain crackers with string cheese or squares of cheese, a few spoonfuls of peanut butter with apple slices to dip, pita bread and hummus, tortillas and cheese for a quick quesadilla... I try to roast some veggies once or twice a week in the evening and make a large batch of quinoa or rice for quick lunches. No need to heat, just a few spoonfuls of the grains, veggies, some salad mix (I usually buy a box of spring mix or arugula), and then whatever is in the fridge... Cheese, sour cream, hot sauce, etc. Cans of black beans or chickpeas are great to throw in, or cook up a batch of hard-boiled eggs and toss one in.

Are you not eating because of appetite or because of time constraints? If it's time then get someone to batch cook you some soup and maybe like a chilli or bolognaise. The soup is great and easy for your lunch. Keep some pots of filling dips (humous, guacamole, etc) and precut veggies and some pittas to hand. All of these can be ready in no time.

If it's appetite then snacking is fine so long as you remember to have more snacks. Keep things like granola bars, fresh or dried fruits, humous to hand. Also, while milk doesn't make milk it is a good source of calories if you can't face food.

In the early days I had a little 'nest' where I fed my daughter with various snacks like crackers, biscuits and dried fruit; a sports bottle full of squash, and other things to keep myself occupied. I found it good advice to make sure I had at least a drink every time I sat down to feed her.

I have been told oatmeal helps with milk production. I believe it has helped with mine. Also, its a good healthy snack.

porridge, smoothies, houmous and veggie sticks, sandwiches, soup, pasta and cheese...
all easy quick and nutritious xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->