What to expect?

Sam182

Mum to a 27 week preemie
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm delighted to say Alexander came home today after 82 days in NICU. What I'm wondering is, what should I expect from him at this age (39+1 weeks gestational age)? When he's awake should I be doing things to stimulate him or leaving him to sleep? As a first time mummy I am really unsure of what to do!

oooh I saw your other post - CONGRATULATIONS!!! How very exciting! Your situation seems similar to mine! My son was a 27 weeker also with a similar weight.

Coming home is a BIG change for these little guys so I would say just follow his rythms, let him adjust slowly to his new life. The first few days my baby needed a bit of light and noise just to be comfortable and to fall asleep. I would also put a bit of hand sanitizer on my hands as well that smell was familiar to him and seemed to reassure him :shrug:

Enjoy your new family time!! You`ve certainly earned it after all those long stressful months :flower:

Congratulations on your wee one coming home. Its such an exciting time.

If he wants to sleep, let him sleep. Abby slept 18 hours a day and we were glad of it. Newborn babies, preemie or not, need more sleep than people think. They really don't have enough stamina to deal with much more than 45 minutes waking at a time. He will get into a routine soon enough.

Well done on getting your little man home I bet ur over the moon, I agree if he sleepy let him sleep and try to enjoy some family time and rest yourself .... My little man was 27 weeker too he only just now started enjoying stimulation now at 18 weeks old 6 weeks corrective. he also believes in no sleep !! Day or nite zzzzzzzzz. Xxx

i agree, let him sleep hen he wants to sleep, try not to over stimulate, and i did the same with the hand sanitizer, Huge congrats hes home best feeling in the world xx

It's not that I keep him awake I just wonder if whilst he's awake and alert and not going to sleep, if I should do anything in particular to help with his development?

At that age just talk to him or sing to him.

If you have an activity mat he may like lying looking at the shapes. Holly loved lamaze toys for the first year.

Enjoy having him home O:)

this is the `get to know you`phase - he`ll be content just to discover your face, your voice and your touch. The rythms and sounds of his home. Sheesh I`m all excited for you, I remember those first few days soooo well :flower:

Amelia came home at 36 weeks but since then she had always loved her play gym. We put her on there if she was awake and she would quite happily stare at the toys and try and bat them. SHe was a bit small for it so we put her on a cushion underneath it. Apart from that she was quite content just to be held and talked to

Massive congratulations on finally getting him home x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->