what toys do young babies actually need?

catty

Reaction score
Hi i am buying the last bits and bobs for baby and want to have the majority of things to at least last until xmas where we will get some new clothes, toys etc.

So what do babies from birth to about 6 months actually need?

All i have is a playmat, bouncer chair, a padded bear he can lean on which has a rattle and a small first bear toy.

I seriously have no idea what else is needed i went to mothercare today and realised everything i was looking at was for 3 year olds. i will get him lots of books aswell but that might be more for me

Get something which flashes and makes noise. I got a fire engine from Sainsbury for my girl :)

Well, I'm pregnant with my first still, but based on the experience I've had with young babies they don't need a lot! I have some books, some of the black and white contrast cards, and probably around 10 other infant toys which are just mostly like the things in the baby section...baby keys, etc. :)

They don't need alot, my daughter barely looked at anything for first few months. Lamaze toys are fantastic, my daughter still enjoys them now at 2 and a half xx

these are my sons favorites still and they were easy to grasp early on too.:thumbup:
https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41I6F-lIlyL.jpg
https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41aiF6FDftL._SY300_.jpg
https://a.tgcdn.net/images/products/frontsquare/b0a3_winkel.jpg

I'm not buying any toys - waiting til Christmas, as most of the toys I have seen are 6+ months anyways.

Nothing... We have a bouncer and that's all ... Little man is a week old and I can't see him playing with Anything any time soon... The only thing is a few little 0+ months toys with rattles in them Etc but we had heaps given in gift baskets etc .

I don't have anything toy wise just yet.

He has a bouncy chair with some toys that hang over it but that's all.

Think we'll just wait a few months and see what he likes at baby club and then I can buy those type of toys instead of wasting money on things he may not life!

Ok good to know! Was feeling bad that he doesnt really have toys, il buy a few little rattles and.crinkly things, tje pics you posted look good il maybe buy a few things like that :)

We found with lo all we really needed was a mirror, tv remote and the cat :) everything else was pretty much ignored.

Actually the one thing he was fascinated with was I got a peice of paper and coloured on black and white squares on it, he was fascinated with it for about 2 months (they love anything black and white)

Normally I would say nothing, but this little gem was PURE MAGIC with my son and he would instantly stop crying. I actually bought another one so that I would have two on hand! :)

https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Einstei...=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=einstein+sing+along+tunes

My DS loved tags on toys, any toy, so this time around I found a ball by a company called Taggies - it's a plush ball with tags all over it. DS also like plastic rings to chew on and balls that had easy grips. They don't need much and tend to be more fascinated with items they see you with. At nearly 18 months, this is still the case with my son

The only thing else I could suggest is a a hanging toy for the car seat, plus the rings that toys hang from, my girls loved playing with the Inge and they worked well for teething

You don't 'need' anything really as you can make toys out of things at home for tiny ones. A bouncer/playmat are handy as they are entertaining for LO from early on (Eddy started to watch his hanging toys from about 4 weeks) but they're also a handy place to put baby that is safe and comfy. :thumbup:

Toys really start to get interesting for them around 3 months and then things like rattles, teethers and books are all good - there's loads to choose from but the main thing is you don't really need anything to begin with. You and your face are entertainment enough normally lol :thumbup:

My DS loved tags on toys, any toy, so this time around I found a ball by a company called Taggies - it's a plush ball with tags all over it. DS also like plastic rings to chew on and balls that had easy grips. They don't need much and tend to be more fascinated with items they see you with. At nearly 18 months, this is still the case with my son

Its still the case at 3 years old (probably more so) when your trying to get your phone, car keys, money, laptop back off them :)

I got some fab Lamaze toys that are from birth ..... The horse and doll set is half price in babies r us at the moment..... We also got her the hand and feet Lamaze rattles. Xxx

Hi i am buying the last bits and bobs for baby and want to have the majority of things to at least last until xmas where we will get some new clothes, toys etc.

So what do babies from birth to about 6 months actually need?

All i have is a playmat, bouncer chair, a padded bear he can lean on which has a rattle and a small first bear toy.

I seriously have no idea what else is needed i went to mothercare today and realised everything i was looking at was for 3 year olds. i will get him lots of books aswell but that might be more for me

I worked at a daycare for young babies this past year, and currently go to university for Early Childhood Education. :) They really don't play much usually until 4-6 months when their motor skills are developed enough to grasp and explore objects. The first 3 months of life are sometimes called "the fourth trimester", simply because babies usually have no interest in anything besides sleeping, eating, and eliminating. That said, newborns and young babes do like to look at things like mobiles and patterns. A good "toy" you can actually make is a little cardboard box filled with fabric scraps of different textures. Rubbing the different feeling materials on your baby (soft materials of course) is stimulating to them and helps them develop sensory skills. Newborns actually prefer looking at faces and/or black and white patterns for the first few months of life as their sight develops, much to the chagrin of parents who spend loads on a colorful nursery. As they get to be 4-6 months, good toys would be "safe" (BPA free) teethers, and things like rattles. The little pole with the colored rings (not sure of the name) is great too for when they start being able to grasp things. If you look around, you can find dangling toys to add to the play mat you have.
Do be careful about interactive electronic toys (flashing lights, singing, battery powered) as studies have shown that they are overstimulating for some babies and can actually lead to the child being less likely to explore/play with other toys. Young babies love being sung to and "danced" with. You will figure it out. Babies are a joy to play with, and usually you end up being the "toy" that they are most fascinated by!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->