What would you/did you look for in a childminder/daycare?

M

milf2be

Just doing some research and would like some opinions please :)

have to change my career path and was seriously considering childminding. that way i can stay at home with Jakey too :)

What things do you look for in a childminder?
e.g toys?
activities (inside and outside)?
if they can drive?
what their house is like?
what their garden is like?
area?
pets?
qualifications?
price? etc.

thanks everyone :flower:

Well... I didn't really look for anything because our childminder was recommended by a friend. But she is PERFECT, so here's what her and her place is like:

She is really bubbly and she is young (early twenties) so she has lots of energy.

She genuinely loves her job.

She used to work in a nursery before setting up her own business.

Her house is smaller than my house, but the kids are happy there because there are lots of different sorts of toys. And her playroom is a good size and is arranged in sections, there's the book corner, car corner, dollies and pretend, arts and crafts table... just loads of different things which the children can move between freely.

Her garden is nice and flat (lawn) and a good size. It's great in the summer because she gets sand/water play and paddling pools out. She has rabbits in the garden which the children help look after.

All food comes included in the price, and she'll tailor it to the child's needs. For example, vegetarian... etc.

She can drive, and for a small fee (£3 or £2 extra, I can't remember) she does pick ups and drop offs. She also does trips out (at no extra cost) in the car, to Monkey Business, and Paradise Park (local dinosour attraction), and very occasionally something more expensive like the sealife centre.

She recently employed another lady who is really nice, and because she's there too, she can now take more kids.

She works with a range of ages... during the day it's all pre school kids and then she picks up some older kids from school in the afternoon (primary school age)

She is firm, but kind to the children and she treats them with respect.

I can tell you what I looked for when looking for childcare for my daughter.

What things do you look for in a childminder? Someone who is patient but able to be firm, respectful of both child and parent, who has references and experience of some sort either professionally or with their own children, someone who is organized and clean, etc. It's also important to me (as a university student) that they're somewhat flexible and able to accommodate a schedule that changes every 4-5 months as my class schedule changes.
e.g toys? It's nice if they have some and if the ones they do have must be clean and safe. The one my daughter goes to has a play kitchen area, puzzle area, "library" with shelves of books, etc. so it's all organized into sections in one, big open space.
activities (inside and outside)? I would not put my daughter in daycare that just plopped her in front of a television all day. I like for there to be supervised activities. The place my daughter goes to does story time, games, lots of music and dancing and when the weather permits outside activities and games.
if they can drive? Yes. This is more for emergencies than anything else, I don't necessarily need someone to pick up or drop my daughter off anywhere but I like the piece of mind that if there is an injury or something serious were to happen they could get her to the proper place quickly.
what their house is like? Clean, organized, child friendly (so not a lot of things that easily break or could cause injury), things like stairs being blocked off with gates, medicine and cleaners kept out of reach, no wires hanging about, if there are any animals/pets they must be trained and good with children. Enough space for play and a quiet area for naps.
what their garden is like? Properly kept (lawn mowed frequently, walks salted and sanded in the winter, nothing harmful laying about) and fenced in. A fairly large, flat surface.
pets? Like I said above pets are fine for me as long as they are properly trained and good with kids. My daughter loves animals however and some parents may not be comfortable with certain animals or kids may be allergic. My childcare provider has two dogs and they're great, my daughter loves them and it works out 'cuz we're not allowed to have a dog at our place so she gets her fix there. :D
qualifications? Certified by the state/other government agency if applicable where you live. I like to have references and they must be able to pass a background check. CPR certification/training is important to me as well. Past experience either professionally or personally is okay but there must be something and I admit I'd be much pickier if someone only had personal experience but it wouldn't rule them out completely, I'd just be more cautious.
price? It depends a lot on where you live I think, prices can vary a lot. I'm willing to pay more for a reliable and good childcare giver. I pay $125 USD per week for full time care for my daughter and that's standard for this area for a good place. You can find people who charge half that but they're the type usually to stick the LO in front of a television all day and are generally questionable so like I said I'm willing to pay more for someone good. I imagine most people are. All food is included in what I pay as well as supplies for any arts/crafts projects they take up too.

I'm very lucky to have found a wonderful place run by two awesome ladies who love the kids they look after and are great to work with. I'll be sticking with them for as long as they're in business and I can't say enough good things about them.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great with this new venture.

What things do you look for in a childminder?
Must be certified in child development. Either in the Eary childhood program, or graduated. Valid First Aid certificate, and CPR C. Being a mom is a bonus, but I have had great childminders who are not, and they have more time to commit.

e.g toys?
Toys are very important. Variety. Educational. And for children of all ages. Keeping them cleaned is very important, and in good condition.

if they can drive?
I would never consider someone who did not drive AND have their own vehicle.

what their house is like?
Extremely clean, very well organized, no pet hair (gross), or food and dirt on the floor. I would want to see an immaculate kitchen and bathroom. Completely baby proof with an area specific for my children to run and play as they please.

what their garden is like?
Full-fenced, not shared, groomed immaculately. Proper safe and clean toys. Nothing left out that should be in a shed or garage.

pets?
My kids go to a place where they have bunnies, a dog, and a cat. They also have a porcupin that you have to pick up with oven mitts. I do not mind so long as they don't bite. I would probably report a bite and leave the childcare centre. My daughter was bit in the eye by a dog who apparently loved children and had never been vicious...almost cost her her sight!!! Luckily, my daughter now hates dogs and will scream until people lock their up, therefore, I do not worry as much about that.

qualifications?
University degree, valid first aid, valid CPR C, and a clear criminal record search.

price?
I pay $30 for 1.5 hours. That includes my three children and a snack. I also pay the same price for two days a week that I do not use, to keep my space incase we need it later (so we pay for 4, and use 2 days).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->