What's average time to start maternity leave

Purplehippo

Reaction score
I'm due 13th aug and I was due to start maternity leave 19th July but had two weeks hol to take so officially it's two weeks after.

Thing is I'm really starting to struggle, I struggling with walking due to breathlessness and my lady bits really really hurt :cry: feeling bit more anxious again too. So I'm thinking of bringing it forward couple of weeks and then I'll have 3 weeks hol to take and then maternity leave to start but I don't want to be looked at like a woose :cry: by starting it early

Most people start it between 34-36 weeks but you can start it any time after you are 29 weeks. If you are in that much pain maybe its worth going to the doctor because they might sign you off. then you can still take maternity leave from 36 weeks or what ever x

Who cares what anybody else thinks! Put yourself first :thumbup: if you're struggling now then you are only going to be misserable for the remainder of your time there.
With my first baby I left work at 36 weeks then took 4 weeks holiday and my ML started the day my baby was born. I had a great pregnancy and didnt struggle at all. This time I decided to work to 38 weeks but from 35 weeks onwards I really really struggled, I wish I had finished earlier.
Do what's right for you and your pregnancy :)

Hello sweetie,

My last day is the 19th July and im taking the week after off as annual leave so my mat leave doesnt officially start until the 29th July. Im due on the 14th August.

Like everyone has said though, I would go see you doctor and see about getting yourself signed off xx

I started at 35 weeks but could of easily worked till about 37/38wks I just didn't fancy it. Got a whole year off after all!!

Start when you want /need to!

I'm starting at 35 weeks. Due 24th Aug, taking 2 weeks leave then maternity starting 29th July. I was worried I was going a bit early but when I saw my friend and colleague struggling from 33/34 weeks and having some issues which saw her hospitalised from then on I decided to stick with it!

Well, here in the US we can start at 36 weeks but most women I know worked almost until the due date. I'll start a week before the due date. It all depends in what you feel comfortable with, your work culture, your health, etc. I know I'd rather be uncomfortable and working (my job is desk+walking, no difficult motions) than sit at home waiting. I agree with the others. Who cares what the average is.

I'm taking annual leave and finishing at 37+2 but my 'official' maternity leave doesn't start until 8th July when I'm 39+5.

I want as much paid time off with baby as possible.

I started maternity leave with my 2nd at 30 weeks. I knew from being PG with my 1st and also having minor health problems I was better off at home from pretty early on to keep me healthy for LO's sake. No-one said anything. I started at 30 weeks, had a weeks AL to use up for officially started it at 31 weeks.

Had I been working with either my 1st (was bullied out of my job in my 1st so was off from 16 weeks with stress) and this one (stopped signing on at 24 weeks) I think I would definitely stop around 32 weeks at the latest as that's about as long as I can go without ending up a gibbering wreck! lol

I finished when I was 35 weeks and took 3 weeks of annual leave so my maternity actually starts at 38weeks

I will officially start at 36 weeks but I work for myself. When I worked in an office with my first 2 I think I was off from about 32 weeks - having about 3-4 weeks if saved holiday first so mat leave would officially start about 36ish weeks. I found that by 6 months I was desperate to get back to work so I think if you go off a few weeks early it won't make any difference in the long term

My last shifts are next week then 2 weeks annual leave then mat leave. Work is pretty full on and I have spd so finishing as early as I can!! X

I finished at the end of my 34th week. Was due to finish at end of 35th but I was so exhausted and miserable. I felt so much better when I finished. I took leave that I was owed for the year and part of the rest I am taking at the end. I'm lucky enough to have a full year off so I thought what's the difference of an extra week and took if at the beginning. My maternity Leave starts Monday which is two weeks before my due date. Everyone is different u need to do what's right for u and how u feel!! Xxx

With my first I went on ML at 37 weeks and my lo was 5 days overdue. With this one, I am hoping to leave work at 38 1/2 weeks - take a week and a half of leave and actually start ML on my due date. I'm suffering from SPD, indigestion and insomnia so am almost doing everything on auto pilot.

I think I could finish earlier but was so bored last time waiting for my son to arrive, so this time I am waiting till my son finishes school to be able to spend time with him before his sister turns up

With my first I worked to 37 weeks - it was getting a bit much for me the last week or so, so decided to go off at 36 weeks this time. But even that was tough going as I have had bad hip pain this pregnancy and walking at work and sitting in the car for 3/4 hour each way to get there was getting difficult. Think it depends on the nature of your work and your health during the pregnancy :shrug:

Its totally up to you!! Dont worry about what anyone else thinks, you are fully entitled to take ML anytime after 29wks so do what you think is best for yours and babys health.
I was due to start at 34wks, 3 wks hol then mat leave from 37wks. To be honest im off now not through my own choice and im hoping to go back in but i totally would have brought it forward if i needed to :)
Xx

Am due to officially start at 38 weeks (15th July)... but I've been utterly f***ed since I was 30 weeks. Really bad back ache, bump ache (anterior, marginal previa - which has hopefully moved out of the way - due for a conformation scan on the 1st July), heartburn, insomina etc etc etc (whinge to fade...). This is my first - and to be honest I have enjoyed being pregnant, but I am finding it hard.

I'm a 'bench' scientist and so I am on my feet all day - I have been utilising stools and I now sit down when I'm giving my seminars etc. I had about 4 weeks worth of holiday to take so last week I negotiated a 3 day week. This week was the first week and to be honest - I've been more productive yesterday and today than I have been for ages.

I've worked it out so that I've still got a weeks holiday in hand in case I get too knackered at 37 weeks. My boss has been really good and understanding about it all and I can more or less come and go as I please. He's also pretty flexible about the hours I keep as I've been waddling in at 7am and leaving at 3pm ish and he seems fine with it.

Do what your body tells you it can. There's no point in 'bashing your pan in'. No-one will thankyou for it in the end. Adjust your hours and days if you have to, but please remember that you're not preggy all the time...

My leave starts when I pop my baby out lol. But if I had the opportunity to go out a week or two earlier, Id certainly take it!

I'm due 13th aug and I was due to start maternity leave 19th July but had two weeks hol to take so officially it's two weeks after.

Thing is I'm really starting to struggle, I struggling with walking due to breathlessness and my lady bits really really hurt :cry: feeling bit more anxious again too. So I'm thinking of bringing it forward couple of weeks and then I'll have 3 weeks hol to take and then maternity leave to start but I don't want to be looked at like a woose :cry: by starting it early

My due date is exactly the same as yours. My last day at work is 29th June but due to annual leave my maternity doesn't start until 24th July. I took the midwives advice which was to do around 34 weeks so I am. I feel your pain and actually had 4 days off sick this week as my back hurt so much. Work were lovely about it.

Bonus is that I am going on holiday (this country unfortunately!) so I'm off work from 14th June until 24th June. This means I only have 10 working days left. Not that I'm counting!!!

My last day is this Sunday!
I have 4 weeks holiday to take and then maternity leave starts when I am 32 weeks.
I can't stand being at work anymore so I am glad I am finishing sooner :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->